Logan's Run Hand Sculpture with Palm Crystal

EasternBloc

So I've been wanting to tackle this for a while, but only got started today. The sculpture in question is an amazingly large hand and wrist complete with glowing palm crystal that is faceted and mirrored. No idea how to tackle the mirror part, but hey it's early. This screenshot shows the target:
Logans Run 01.jpg
So grabbed some wood scraps while leaving work yesterday and set up the bench sander this morning. First off, I took some simple measurements from the screenshots and scaled my sculpture to be about 50% bigger than my own hand. (Had to start somewhere) Also, my trilogy omnibus version of Logan's Run (in the background below) has an excellent sketch of the hand that does differ slightly from the film version. I used this version for a bit of scaling and will as well for some of the facet angles on the palm face.
IMG_1161.JPG
After using the jigsaw to cut out a rough outline of the palm from a Douglas Fir 2x6, I began using the belt sander to put a few of the required angles into the palm.
IMG_1163.JPG
More angles between the wrist and pinky:
IMG_1162.JPG
Next up are some fingers!

Last edited:
For the fingers I chose some more scrap lumber. This time, Southern Yellow Pine stacking sticks. Stacking sticks are generally about three inches by two inches and have a 3/4" wide channel cut into them to accommodate a nylon tensioning strap. They are used for binding units of lumber for shipment. As a lumber yard owner, I am constantly looking for uses for stacking sticks.
IMG_1165.JPG
The angles were a bit of trial and error with frequent rewatching of the approximate 45 seconds in which this bad boy can actually be seen in the film. In the photo below you can see all five fingers though the angles still aren't quite right.
IMG_1166.JPG
My Palm Crystal should be 60 mm in diameter at this scale.

I've probably made and remade a dozen fingers at this point, but I'm finally satisfied with the angles, facets and positioning. For my life clock, I'm using a NOS cotton trailer reflector that judging by the box in which I found them, predates both the film AND the 1967 novel. Below you can see the rough assembly of fingers, palm and life clock as well as my source of life clocks! Ideally, I'd like to have the life clock backlit in the end.
IMG_1167.JPG
Just before I started the palm facets, I checked my news feed to see that the Logan's Run remake now has a director. A mixture of trepidation, hopefulness, wistfulness and plain old panic set in. Please don't Kingdom of the Crystal Skull me. I can't go through that again.

Now, it gets a bit trickier. There are seven facets on the surface of the palm to give it a bit of dimension and are so crucial in capturing the shape of this sculpture. So, for what I hope is the hardest part of this project, I decided to use Western Red Cedar. I had about a square foot of this material in 3/4" thickness that was easy enough to scroll saw into shape. The angles on the facets I did using the bench sander and sacrificing a large amount of fingertip. More than a few were nearly perfect until I put just one... more... bevel on........and ruined it. Oops, and bleeding too. Aside from a few boo boos, all came out well and this is the current state of my project:
IMG_1169.JPG
Next up is the base. It's a bit of a psychedelic Chemex coffee maker shape, and I think it might be best accomplished in two separate pieces. Currently, I'm considering Bald Cypress as I have some 4x6 beams that I can cut a few feet off.

Renew! Renew! :)
Very cool project. I just happened to catch Logan's Run on one of the cable movie channels last week. I hadn't seen it in probably 15 years.

Renew! Renew! :)
Very cool project. I just happened to catch Logan's Run on one of the cable movie channels last week. I hadn't seen it in probably 15 years.

Many thanks! I came across Logan's Run at about age 12 and it left quite the impression on me. I love them all: books, movie, tv show & comics.

Today I took my cypress 4x6 beam and started to cut out what will be my base.
IMG_1176.JPG
I have not yet begun to sand!!

IMG_1185.JPG
I got some work done on the base yesterday. More baffling angles and mind bending geometry. I've elected two make the base in two pieces as I plan on the top piece housing a turntable motor to run the hand. My motor and a Cree 3-up star red led are shipping from China and are still about two weeks out, so I'm hesitant to sculpt too much on the top piece before having the electronics in hand to ensure a decent fit. I drilled with a 1/2" auger bit down the center of my base for a wiring route. Also, I need to decide on a finish. I've got some Molotow Burner Chrome spray paint coming later this week that I want to try out. The liquid chrome markers are awesome, but this is way to large for those. Mirrored styrene, aluminum tape and of course tackling a real mirrored surface are all options on the table at this point. The large facets on the base make me think the mirrors wouldn't be too hard, but the tiny palm facets and long acute angles seem daunting. Also, I'll be using a 62 mm hole saw to recess my life clock down into the palm. and routing out an area behind for lights and associated electronics.

Capricorn 15's. Year of the city 2274. Carrousel begins... Well not quite yet anyway, but getting there.

Appreciate the links! I came across the Cylon guy's build after starting the first bits of the palm, but our interpretations of scale are a bit different. I find the base's footprint to be a bit more slender than his measurements and the fourth facet of the base to be less extensively beveled away from an apparent "triangular" base. By my observation (and Cylon-Knight's as well), the base isn't a true triangle, but it is close. I am intrigued by his use of styrene and have been considering that as a possibility. One of the main reasons for my use of wood, aside from its easy and ready availability to me, is that I wanted a weighty, substantial finished product. Might end up using this as a DS gun display.

The life clock palm crystal image I have used for various projects before. Eventually, I aspire to create a mold, cast and set a custom red 60 mm life clock into the palm based on those facets. Thingiverse has a life clock in the inventory, but it doesn't look terribly screen accurate. Of course, the same can easily be said for my current life clock: an old trailer reflector.

Basically, this is a learning project. I'm starting with what I know I can do, doing it, and then forcing my own hand to learn the next skill...

So excited to see this: I've been working on this in 3D and as a 3D print, and it's great to see another person who thinks it's a cool prop. I've printed a 9 inch and then a 14 inch version. Now I'm working on printing a version and at the same time creating a Pepakura version with which I can have acrylic mirror facets laser cut to fix to the surface.

The smaller one is a simplified version I made for a guy in England who wanted a display stand for a life clock that he has. I put the mesh up on Shapeways temporarily so he could purchase a print. I made a print for myself to see how it worked. I rebuilt the palm with no facets to make it easier for him to work with.

By the way, it seems to me that the palm crystal is a smaller version of the energy crystals used throughout the film. Attached is a shot of a 24" diameter crystal I've been working on. I made it out of bondo but I'm betting it would be a lot easier to make in wood, if one has the right tools and skills. Both of which I lack.

Attachments

• arcade hands.jpg
    arcade hands.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 278
  • 2_foot crystal 19.jpg
    2_foot crystal 19.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
You could try getting some mirrored metal tile at Home Depot/Lowes/Big-Hardware-Store. Make some paper patterns, cut out the facets in sections and bend or glue as needed.

Logan's Run was not a spectacular film but it did have some wonderful designs and iconic imagery...

Appreciate the links! I came across the Cylon guy's build after starting the first bits of the palm, but our interpretations of scale are a bit different. I find the base's footprint to be a bit more slender than his measurements and the fourth facet of the base to be less extensively beveled away from an apparent "triangular" base. By my observation (and Cylon-Knight's as well), the base isn't a true triangle, but it is close. I am intrigued by his use of styrene and have been considering that as a possibility. One of the main reasons for my use of wood, aside from its easy and ready availability to me, is that I wanted a weighty, substantial finished product. Might end up using this as a DS gun display.

The life clock palm crystal image I have used for various projects before. Eventually, I aspire to create a mold, cast and set a custom red 60 mm life clock into the palm based on those facets. Thingiverse has a life clock in the inventory, but it doesn't look terribly screen accurate. Of course, the same can easily be said for my current life clock: an old trailer reflector.

Basically, this is a learning project. I'm starting with what I know I can do, doing it, and then forcing my own hand to learn the next skill...

I'd recommend using mirrored Mylar sheet to cover your wood with. You can cut it with an Xacto knife - a whole lot easier than acrylic or glass.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back