Lockout (trailer)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by alienscollection.com, Jan 26, 2012.

1. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

2. Polsnulspace

Polsnulspace Sr Member

3. Carson Dyle

Carson Dyle Sr Member

Wow, Guy Pearce really buffed up for this one. I almost didn't recognize him.

Looks like cheesy good B-movie fun. Cool shuttles, too.

I'm in.

4. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

I liked the earlier trailers better, but yes, I'm looking forward to this one.

5. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

After the first minute or so I stopped seeing elements from other movies and thought it could be pretty good.

Elements that I noticed:

Theme: obvious parallels to Fortress 2
    Sounds: many sound like they were taken from Transformers
    Vehicles: Batpod/Armageddon shuttle (or the 80's cartoon GI Joe space shuttle).
    Scene: the scene with the 'gravity generator' is very similar to the new Mission Impossible scene with Renner and Pegg.
    Character: the lead role looks a lot like an Ethan Hunt character in an 'against all odds (ie Mission Impossible) plot.'

Don't get me wrong - I love movies like this - so I hope that it is good...but won't hold my breath!!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  6. dbalschi

dbalschi Sr Member

A good friend of mine pointed out that it very reminiscent of Escape from New York/ LA just in space.

7. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

I'm in,

can never get enough scifi prison breaks!!!

8. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

I was into the trailer until they said they guy's name was "Snow"

9. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Has anyone seen this movie yet?

10. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Yeah, I saw it Wednesday. I enjoyed it. It's nothing too amazing but guy Pearce made the movie with how much of a smartass he is.

11. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

I saw it today. I didn't care for it at all. There is some really terrible editing, the movie just jumps scenes with very little logic or sense of flow. The action stuff, the gun play, very flat and boring. The bad guys just sort of know what they are doing with zero explanation. Some of the CGI was low rent garbage too, that reminded me of Ultraviolet.

12. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Took my son to see it today -- he reeeeally wanted to see it. After a while I reeeeeally wanted to leave. I wish they would have locked us out before buying the tickets. Disappointing.

Doug

13. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I enjoyed it.

14. Betamin

Betamin Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I won passes from a local comicon to see it last week, and enjoyed it but it did have a few parts that seemed like they were cut badly. My friend looked at me during a part late in the movie and said "Really?" because it seemed thrown in. I did like GP in it though. He played a good smartazz.

15. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Saw this Saturday night, I was very, very excited to see it. Boy was I dissapointed.

Lockout is a horrible movie. Bad dialogue, crappy editing, plotholes galore, and some of the stuff that happens is just plain stupid. (If you can't figure out how to work a computer, shooting the control panel does not magically make the computer do exactly what you want it to do). Guy Pierce and the main psychotic inmate were the only reasons I didn't get up out of my seat and walk out. The movie sucked.

16. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Makes you wonder what all the pro reviewers saw when they gave it a good grade.

17. aeonpulse

I'm wondering if the original film was butchered in editing in order to adhere to the PG-13 rating or something. A few days before seeing Lockout, I saw the first 5 minutes of it on YouTube. It was noticeably different from the first five minutes I saw in theaters. Most obvious was an abrupt cut-away on a bullet to the head that was 100% visible in the YouTube clip I saw.

18. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Quite frankly, this movie couldn't have ever worked. Why would anyone ever spend the amount of money to put convicts in orbit when they could just put them in a cell on Earth? How is being put in orbit as a punishment cost effective for managing convicts?

19. aeonpulse

Well, they KIND OF explained that, in a really half-assed sort of way.
    The whole purpose of the prison was actually to secretly test the effects of space travel and cryopreservation on humans... or something.
    It's a shallow sub-plot presented early in the film, and then it's just kind of forgotten...

20. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Okay, that's something at least. Otherwise it'd have made no sense whats so ever.

21. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

from the trailer alone i dont want to see it. horrible beginning. i hate the whole: "He is the only one who can do it" thing. also its so obvious. everything is shown in that trailer. and i dont like guy pearce. the Effects look decent, but im not watching a movie for effects.

22. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Actually a lot of the CGI looked like SYFY level stuff -- so you didn't miss out on anything. The sets were so flimsy you could see them move when bumped into (multiple scenes). Really awful quality movie all around.

Doug

23. aeonpulse

No kidding, the early sequence with Snow riding the motorcycle on the highway looked like it was rendered on a PS1.

24. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Saw it today.

Since I don't own cable and don't watch much of anything on TV except the Daily Show with my ma, I was a quite horrified watching this movie. It honestly felt like I was watching an edited for tv version of the film like I used to see back in the day. The editing around the action scenes were horrible. There is no doubt in my mind that this film was written, shot and FX'd to be an R rated film.

25. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I really felt that Guy Pearce and the psycho prisoner were the only really good parts of the film. Pearce worked really well as a smartass and hopefully he plays one again, only in a better movie. Also the presidents daughter was hella yummy.

The CGI bike chase scene was brutal and all over the place. The other bit I really hated was how it took them all of 4 seconds to get from the airlock of the prison, to the overpass on earth. I mean it literally went space-->suits blow off-->deploy chute-->Ground.

26. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

I am a little late to the game, but man... was this ever a stinker! We may squabble over details of Batman or Prometheus, but those are minor complaints compared to the absolutely horrendous writing for this film. I really like Guy Pearce but in this film he is little more than a hollow cliche... much like every other character.

As numerous others have pointed out, the only charcter worth noting is the main bad guy's psychotic brother. That guy was actually interesting. Aside from him, not one worthwhile moment...

27. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

I noticed this is now on Netflixm was debating on finally giving it a try, but I'm hesitant

28. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

I really loved this movie. Great comedic role by Guy and lots of campy 'no thinking required' action. I even bought it on Blu Ray!

I knew after seeing the interrogation scene at the start of the movie that I was going to love it....lol...it was really quite entertaining!

Langral: You don't like me, do you?
    Snow: Don't flatter yourself. I don't like anybody.
    Langral: With that attitude, I can see why nobody likes you.
    Snow: Oh, come on. People love me. Just ask your wife.

:lol

One thing to keep in mind is that the budget for the entire movie was rather limited, so one scene (the motorcycle chase) was done with cheap(er) cgi while $$$ was dumped into later parts of the movie. Its a breif scene and easy to forget, so when you see it, don't judge the movie too harshly.

I really like this flick!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  29. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I watched it on the Netflix, I fell asleep. I didn't care for it much at all, it was just blah to me.

30. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

Finally caught this on Netflix.

The great parts are SO GREAT! But the bad parts are SO BAD!

I love Pierce's one-liners.

31. madmikeee

madmikeee Sr Member

Exactamundo. Great B movie time killer overall though. :popcorn