Little hairs/quils for your face mask

ssloun

Hi,
I just wanted to share my latest discovery :lol:
I was thinkin of making quils for my new mask and didnt want to stick there toothpicks so I thought of this and it worked.
It might have been here before or it may be a common knowledge but I havent seen it anywhere here.
Anyway it is very easy and better then toothpicks if you want to wear a bio :lol: .

I think that pic says it all, but anyway take some clay and toothpick and stick the toothpick into the clay several times and then pour latex.

BTW do you guys glue them on the mask?

Joseph

P1010349.JPG

P1010352.JPG

wow good idea. I have experimented with different mold ideas before and didnt even think of the clay idea.......Nice work!

you could also do this with plaster...pour yourself a tray of ultracal30 let it set up alittle,do the toothpic thing and let it dry,then pour latex...i imagine the plaster in place of the clay will allow the latex to cure alot faster. just a suggestion.

you could also do this with plaster...pour yourself a tray of ultracal30 let it set up alittle,do the toothpic thing and let it dry,then pour latex...i imagine the plaster in place of the clay will allow the latex to cure alot faster. just a suggestion.
hi, ye I wanted to do it with plaster too, unfortunately I hadnt any at that time. But I used water based clay, so it absorbs water really fast. Dont know how fast would it be with plaster, but those were pulled out of the ,,mold'' after 25 mins.

i dont know, if this works fine for you i would say if it isnt broken dont fix it....but i would imagine that something with no water(plaster) would absorb water faster than something with water(water based clay). Also i think most superglue them on,because it is easier to get the quills to go in the direction you would like . when you poke holes in a mask and insert quills you are kinda at the mercy of how you inserted them as to which direction they are pointing. a predator with quills sticking in all directions looks unruly and undefined(like he just got out of bed)

Some people use Sculpey Bake n' Bend clay. You basically roll a bunch of quills out of the black colored one, and put them in the oven.
Once out, you've got a bunch of flexible quills to glue (cyanoacrylate) to your mask or skins. I think there's a thread on that somewhere around here.....

I remember that thread. I think that people were having a devil of a time finding the stuff in black.

Most places carry only the multicolor pack that has very small samples of each color only one being black.

If anyone knows someone selling just black let us all know.

any chance u could use elmers glue instead of liquid latex
well, elmers glue is light weight and could be mixed with black paint, and is somewhat flexible, but not much, so it could work. you would have to give it a try.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back