Listen to movies in the background when working

Contec

Master Member
Last weekend when I was working in another persons home they had Goonies on Tv, I was just able to listen to the sound but it was just like watching the movie. Guess i seen the movie too many times.

Today ,I'm going to have it on in the background when i do some hobby work.

Anyone else has a movie that they don't need to watch to enjoy?

John Carpenter/Kurt Russel commentaries. Just great to listen to.

The Thing
EFNY
Big Trouble in Little China

Ben Stiller's Tropic Thunder is another great commentary track to have running in the background.

Good mix of anecdotes and movie talk.

EDIT: Also running "talky" series like space opera's is good too.

I listen to movies while I work as well. My problem is that when an especially good part comes on, I stop and watch.

Goonies is a good one to listen to.

Bladerunner is a fantastic one to listen to. All of the subtle noises in the background are fantastic!. I also like to listen to TRON:Legacy and any of the Star Wars movies.

Lord of the Rings. With or without commentary.

Trilogies or Anthologies seem to be best. Whether it's also Star Wars or Aliens. I'll also do seasons of TV shows. I went through the first 4-5 seasons of Farscape last year getting prepped for Dragon*con.

But I usually will put anything on when I'm hand sewing something, cutting out or sculpting/molding something. It really does help! Either that or I have to have a playlist set on my Ipod, ready to go.

For a while, my designated homework movies were Kingdom of Hevean, The Last Samurai, Rent and Across the Universe.

Lately I've been watching whatever is on ESPN, sometimes on mute with mellow music running.

My wife yells at me when I watch Raiders and end up in another room. She says I'm not watching it, but I say I am. Last time I told her exactly what was happening based solely on the music cues. She called me a dork. :)

haha i do this all the time, even when im not working on props or really anything, its just nice to have some background noise.
ill watch starwars, any godzilla movie, batman, pretty much anything. a few months ago i saw at walmart they had the 50 movie horror collection of all these old obscure horror movies for like $5 and those are great too.
as said before it usually takes longer to finish what your doing though because you always watch the good parts! xD

I was doing the exact same thing last night doing courswork. I usually just stick the telly on and whats on is what I watch/listen to. Robin hood prince of thieves was on last night so thats what I had in the background while working, although you cant help look up though when you hear swords clanging and stuff lol

I do this all the time - I find it easier to concentrate when a part of my mind is focused on a movie soundtrack and when it's a movie I know well, it's really easy to follow.

I also love to listen to things while I work on projects; things that I have seen many times, but still inspire me. I usually will have a Star Trek playing in the background (just hearing the dialog, I can remember what's happening), or the soundtrack to the H Potter movies, or something like that. It's interesting yet at the same time it does not interrupt my working - just enhances it.

Blade Runner, Transformers 1986, the Transformers cartoon, gi joe 1987 movie, back to the future 1-3, normal tv channels, music, or just any random movie i find in my collection that catches my eye.

I do this all the time! My wife just shakes her head when she walks into the shop and I have the 13th Warrior on for the 8th day in a row. I tend to choose a movie and then just play it over and over for a week or so.

I know I'm focused on my project when I look up and realize the movie is almost over and the last thing I remember is the opening credits lol. Regardless, I like having it on in the background just to listen too, and sometimes look up for the good scenes when I catch them ;)

Yep. Doing this for a few yrs now. I find it helps me be relaxed and not all stressed about the project on hand. Netflix has been nice, just have tv shows on the tablet. On eps 155 of 173 for ST deep spacr 9. Turns out it is a pretty good series, never gave it much attention when it originaly ran. Up next is all 177 of Next Generation :)

I like to clean house while listening to Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I do stop often to watch certain scenes though.

"Where's your other hand?"
"Between two pillows"
THOSE AREN"T PILLOWS!!!"
"AHHHH"

I've been doing this for years, as in the laserdisc days when you had to go flip the movie. Back then if I was very busy I would just let the one side play over and over.
I pick movies I know backwards and forwards and a lot of times I find myself delivering the dialogue along with the actors.
At the office I sometimes play movies on my phone at my desk in lieu of music.

Nope. No nerd tendencies here.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back