Luke Skywalker’s Return of the Jedi lightsabers (a primer)

I wish I could go into more detail but I can’t, all I can say is I am thinking the V3 we see on endor, that big black and white photo with the cleaned emitter plate and gaffers tape on the neck, that is a different collar.. possibly a different blade

So is that the V3 still or a different stunt? I swear the weathering matches.. but I don’t know anymore

I wish I could go into more detail but I can’t, all I can say is I am thinking the V3 we see on endor, that big black and white photo with the cleaned emitter plate and gaffers tape on the neck, that is a different collar.. possibly a different blade

So is that the V3 still or a different stunt? I swear the weathering matches.. but I don’t know anymore

Are you referring to this one:

IMG_5441.jpg

I thought this was the V2...

Dewy

That one's the current enigma - check this out:
44338_1427363599.3843.jpg

Likely the same saber as that B&W Pic, but it does looks off. Can't be the V2, nor the Yuma stunt/Hero, and the V3/Shared Stunt should have less paint than that by now.

It probably is the V3 and the photos are playing tricks, but still food for thought.

Dewy

That one's the current enigma - check this out:
View attachment 1343057
Likely the same saber as that B&W Pic, but it does looks off. Can't be the V2, nor the Yuma stunt/Hero, and the V3/Shared Stunt should have less paint than that by now.

It probably is the V3 and the photos are playing tricks, but still food for thought.

Doesn’t look any more or less painted than this shot of the V3 on Endor:

IMG_5349.jpg

I see a very solid black emitter the Endor pic I posted.

But maybe I've just stared at it too long :lol:

I was watching Empire of Dreams today and I noticed in the BTS of the speeder bike shot you see Mark holding a saber with a blade attached and also with no blade attached. I wonder if they had 1 saber body but 2 emitters (for some reason) and changed the emitter instead of just attaching the blade (1 emitter with blade, 1 without)

That is an interesting idea James Kenobi 1138, and I think a few thought along on a similar path if I recall. That would certainly explain the differences were seeing though! But what Halliwax said does also makes sense... Some refurbishment must have happened somewhere towards the end of production. Maybe it was an effort to make the V3 look like the V2 to match the other scenes on Endor, then when they did the catwalk walk-through, the emitter was stripped/modified to better match the ISYHCANL? (Not sure why'd they remove the nipple/collar if thats the case though)

I was watching Empire of Dreams today and I noticed in the BTS of the speeder bike shot you see Mark holding a saber with a blade attached and also with no blade attached. I wonder if they had 1 saber body but 2 emitters (for some reason) and changed the emitter instead of just attaching the blade (1 emitter with blade, 1 without)

Holy crap do you have a time stamp?!?

Wait is he on the speeder bike?

If not, then yes. On screen he uses the V2 to ignite the blade

He then uses the V3 to cut the bikes nose off

But if he’s on a speeder bike with the blade this is new to me, any chance we can get time stamps?

I was wondering if the rough weathering on the first grip rings bevel was why Don just sanded off all the paint on the bevel leaving a silver first ring. Does look a lot cleaner

I went back this morning and re-watched the BTS, I thought there was bladed and non-bladed in the same part but it was all bladed (I missed the blade at the end)

It’s at 2:15:39 on the Disney+ version

I went back this morning and re-watched the BTS, I thought there was bladed and non-bladed in the same part but it was all bladed (I missed the blade at the end)

It’s at 2:15:39 on the Disney+ version

I’ll check it out tonight I think I know exactly what you’re talking about

This is another scene where they had separate bladed and hilt props in Jedi - I don't think they bothered de-blading the V3 almost ever until that walkthrough.

I guess we'll never know, but it makes me think again that the yuma was made due to breakage

carry on!

So the question that's being asked a lot now is if the emitter of the V3 was regularly swapped out with the blade. Leading one to ask, was the entire emitter/blade (and possibly tang) replaced for another set when they needed it to be swapped? Because there's nothing to indicate that the current V3 emitter was ever one we see in these photos, I feel. There certainly hasn't been one close and clear enough of it around the time of RotJ's production where we can see the distinctive warts on the emitter. Even on the R2 cannon resin copy, which everything on the lower neck down I'm positive is the V3. The break in the neck up, I'm not so sure about.

I’m thinking the emitter and blade were swapped... at least for that endor scene

This is as long as the throne room duel was before the Endor scene

We got that photo of a wicked bent blade

And that video clip, to me that looks like the blade comes off and the emitter still attached

They could have jerry rigged it back together on set, tape, screws, more tape.. this explains the clamp being wrapped

Hamill after the emitter and blade came out “if you guys are going to work on it, can you wrap the clamp? My hands hurt”

I still don’t know..

The only thing is.. is that resin casting a cast off a cast... did they cast it, see how clumpy areas are.. cleaned that casting up and made more.

My only thinking of this would be to save mold life and make as many castings as they could? Don’t know if I believe this to be the case.. just trying to figure out why the casting emitter is cleaner then the real one

BUT if the emitter was swapped this is why we don’t see the tool hot saber anymore... she was sacrificed for parts and probably thrown away

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back