Liquid Resin

AlienatedPredator

I made a cardboard P1 bio and I would like to know if liquid resin would be good to coat it with to strengthen it and where you can get it. The info would be appreciated. :lol:

No on the resin. You can add fiberglass and fiberglass resin over cardboard but not casting resin. Casting resin needs be poured in a silicone mold only. Use a paint brush and smooth out the fiberglas as you go . Then trim, sand and use body filler at the end to get smooth.

No on the resin. You can add fiberglass and fiberglass resin over cardboard but not casting resin. Casting resin needs be poured in a silicone mold only. Use a paint brush and smooth out the fiberglas as you go . Then trim, sand and use body filler at the end to get smooth.
Where do you get it though? And what kind do you recommend? Body filler?

Walmart or any auto parts store. Body filler is a paste you smooth on with a rubber squeegee and let dry then sand.

if its eny help to you a well known brand of bodyfiller in the usa is called bondo if that helps in eny way if you use fiberglass mat on the inside of the bio with resin the best way i have found is to place the fiberglass mat on a old table or a flat surface then mix to resin dont put to much hardener in because it will cure to fast and turn to a jelly like substance one the resin is mixed use a paint brush and dabb the resin that is on the brush on to the peice of fiberglass mat then put it on the inside of the bio repeat this till the in sibe of the bio is done then mix some resin and brush it on the out side of the bio one coat will do once every think has cured then you can start with the bondo or bodyfiller as we call it in the uk when bondoing try not to put tp much on try to put it on as smooth as you can other wise it could take you ages sanding it down lol hope this help cant wait to see some pichtures

if its eny help to you a well known brand of bodyfiller in the usa is called bondo if that helps in eny way if you use fiberglass mat on the inside of the bio with resin the best way i have found is to place the fiberglass mat on a old table or a flat surface then mix to resin dont put to much hardener in because it will cure to fast and turn to a jelly like substance one the resin is mixed use a paint brush and dabb the resin that is on the brush on to the peice of fiberglass mat then put it on the inside of the bio repeat this till the in sibe of the bio is done then mix some resin and brush it on the out side of the bio one coat will do once every think has cured then you can start with the bondo or bodyfiller as we call it in the uk when bondoing try not to put tp much on try to put it on as smooth as you can other wise it could take you ages sanding it down lol hope this help cant wait to see some pichtures
Thankyou for the info, but how many coats? I am focusing mostly on the outside right now.

Hey I like your pizza bio helmet. HEHEHE looks good.

I think once you put the fiberglass resin on it and bondo, the thing will turn out nice.

You just need to mix small portions at a time and not mix too much of the catalyst.

Otherwise the bondo and fiberglass will cure really fast.

Pls keep us posted with your progress pics.

THX

Hey I like your pizza bio helmet. HEHEHE looks good.

I think once you put the fiberglass resin on it and bondo, the thing will turn out nice.

You just need to mix small portions at a time and not mix too much of the catalyst.

Otherwise the bondo and fiberglass will cure really fast.

Pls keep us posted with your progress pics.

THX
Don't worry I have. Tomorrow im gonna go to home depot and pick up some fiberglass mat. :lol:

If you want to really toughen it up I would use an epoxy resin......something like what surf board manufacturers use to coat their boards.
SP do a good range.....and most SP resins are designed to make repairs to wooden boats so your cardboard should absorb the resin so make sure you support your mask before you coat it otherwise it might flop........then just matt out the inside of the mask the next day.....SP106 is the most common resin they do.......your best bet for a supplier is your local boat yard hardware store.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back