liquid latex coloring

il1keme

Hey fellas

Got a quick query. I currently have 2 Kg of "white liquid latex" and 2 litres of "flat black acrylic water based paint", i am trying to achieve a nice hand brushed black finished coat on an aliens suit.

If i mix the liquid latex with the black acrylic paint is it going to turn grey? and if so, what could i use to dye the liquid latex to come out already black?

Sorry for the stupid question, i just don't have a lot of experience in high end costume making.

cheers

Nick

Try experimenting with small cups by pouring 1:1 amounts and mix. Then more or less depending on your formula for the latex.
Also Adhesion factor - the stickiness of the mixed paint latex may not stick as well after drying so it depends on the brand of latex.
I had some latex I got here in china that I put on a latex ruffkintoy suit and it didn't really stick well. This is without the paint mixed in so try it out!

What about air-bushing?

You can buy LATEX PIGMENTS, which are specifically designed to do the job.

Other than that do a test peice as Uratz suggested.

I made a borg costume last year. I used your basic art store latex paint (maybe Apple brand or some other cheap brand). I mixed black latex paint with my latex. It did not take much black to tint the latex. It will look grey while wet. Even if I added a lot of paint, it still looked grey. But when it dried it dried black. I did not get much variation in color regardless of how much black I added. So, like the others said, try a test sample, but I think you will find it does not take much. I was going to about 1 part paint to 50 parts ++++ latex. Also, the sheen will not really come through from the paint added to the latex. You will get your sheen from perma-wet.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back