Question Links to Propstore etc and purchasing (answered)

Garthok

Sr Member
Hi, Can someone explain to me how hitting the links on the RPF help the site? I guess I am more interested in whether it makes a much bigger difference when you purchase something, after having used the link from the RPF.

The reason I ask is I quite often check the Propstore for new releases, and usually from my own link saved in Bookmarks, because I am jumping on really quickly and that maybe the only thing I will check.

If they have something I am after, well, you have to be quick and just grab it usually. Which means I make a purchase, but it has nothing to link it back to the RPF, except where it asks where you heard about the Propstore I always type in the RPF.

So what do I lose for the RPF when I do this, and how can I can change it so I can have a bookmark for Weta or The Propstore or other sites, and the RPF still gets the credit?

Pardon my ignorance, I am just not very internet savvy

Cheers

Glenn

Glenn,

We essentially have three different types of advertisements on the RPF;

1) "Pay per click" advertisers like Google Adsense which means the site generates revenue when you click on a Google Adsense link regardless of whether you purchase or not.

2) Paid Advertising in which the advertiser pays us up front to run ads for them for a certain length of time. We do not make money when you click on these ads as the advertiser has already paid a set rate, regardless of the number of clicks. However, we encourage our members to support our paid advertisers as we do report the clicks to them and if they feel they are not getting their money's worth, they will spend their advertising dollars elsewhere. While these advertisers don't constitute our largest revenue generating segment of the site, these are the advertisers we really love the most because in a sense they are taking a chance on the site doing well and risking their money up front with the expectation that they will benefit from the advertising.

3) Finally we have affiliate advertisers, such as Sideshow and Weta. These advertisers fall into the category you described in your scenario as you have to click through one of their banners AND purchase an item for the site to earn a percentage of that purchase. While Weta is an affiliate advertiser, they really do quite a bit more for us than just providing a percentage of sales earned due to banners here at the RPF. They have provided some really cool prizes for a couple of contests and have plans to do even more in the future!

We really appreciate all of our advertisers because with them we are able to 1) pay for the site, 2) work on new service for you, and 3) offer some really cool things in the future! While we would never ask you to clilck on an ad you aren't interested in, we do encourage you to show your support to the advertisers who are helping support this site by clicking on their ads when they do appeal to you!

Hi, Can someone explain to me how hitting the links on the RPF help the site? I guess I am more interested in whether it makes a much bigger difference when you purchase something, after having used the link from the RPF.

The reason I ask is I quite often check the Propstore for new releases, and usually from my own link saved in Bookmarks, because I am jumping on really quickly and that maybe the only thing I will check.

If they have something I am after, well, you have to be quick and just grab it usually. Which means I make a purchase, but it has nothing to link it back to the RPF, except where it asks where you heard about the Propstore I always type in the RPF.

So what do I lose for the RPF when I do this, and how can I can change it so I can have a bookmark for Weta or The Propstore or other sites, and the RPF still gets the credit?

Pardon my ignorance, I am just not very internet savvy

Cheers

Glenn

Thanks Art.

Is there a link for all the sponsored sites, other than their banners? Like one of the drop down menus "user CP, FAQ..Quick links"?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back