Link and Zelda: Skyward Sword - Photoshoot pics on Page 2!

CelticRuins

Sr Member
Trying to get both of these done for the opening weekend of the Georgia Ren Faire, April 14th! I'm sure they'll be tweeked quite a bit before Dragon*con, but yeah!

311298_261047883942626_193671420680273_660543_536766062_n.jpg

381009_261047973942617_193671420680273_660544_1095217308_n.jpg

We currently already have a Link and Zelda (mine is a variant color for Smash Brothers Brawl). But my sewing skills have shaped and formed since 2008 and Link is in desperate need of a redo ;)!
268723_193683894012359_193671420680273_451065_1924926_n.jpg

I've started with Zelda's sash and wrap (which later becomes Link's parachute)
I've cut out the pattern from a heavy-weight cotton. It was two for the price of one, seeing as how I can use the cut out for the parachute!
425725_319402208107193_193671420680273_810853_2137457344_n.jpg

429736_319402788107135_193671420680273_810855_1622861697_n.jpg

I'm stitching it down with a small zig-zag stitch.

Boots/Boot wraps: For Zelda, I actually have a high-heel version of her boots, but I may look around at some Good Will's in town, seeing as how this style of boot is VERY popular right now. For Link, I'll be using a cleaner version of this tutorial:
Cosplay by AdlezAkuseru on deviantART

Sword and Shield
: I love the sword/sheath base, but I'm going to sand it and repaint it. As for the shield, it's in desperate need of being remade from the ground up, but due to time and money constraints, it may have to wait and I'll just have to stick with tweeks.

Dress and Tunic/Hat: I picked up some awesome heavy-weight linen, in beautifully bright colors to match the water-color like palette of the game!
423250_319441521436595_193671420680273_811004_1328482460_n.jpg

Chainmaille: Ideally, I really don't want to make a full shirt. I'd like to make sleeves, a cowl neck and a small drape that shows at the bottom of the tunic. Just for time purposes, it would be easier to make dickie pieces as opposed to a full shirt. The pieces would be attached to a heavy-weight material by way of grommets.

Zelda's Wig: Most go for a golden-blonde, but I'm sticking to the cartoon-y vibe of the game and going for golden yellow. I'm eyeing this wig currently:
32'' Long Straight Long Bangs Yellow Cosplay Wig NEW | eBay

Link's hair: My bf Chris used is real hair. But to get more of the "anime" vibe, I may attack the bangs and side hair, by way of wefts/extensions, inside the cap. I have a few left over extensions from previous costumes that would ultimately do the trick!

More progress photos to come!

Last edited:
Re: Link and Zelda: Skyward Sword

Ohh! SUBSCRIBED!

This Zelda costume is definitely on my wish list. :)

As far as I've gotten so far is planning out the wrap... I'm going to use a zigzag stitch but as the smallest width. If you run it through the machine properly it acquires the look of an applique around the edges. ... but now I'm tempted 'cause I love how you did yours too. It looks great so far!!! I can't wait to watch your progress on these!

Will your man be dressing as Skyloft Link or the Tunic and chainmail ver?

Ohh! SUBSCRIBED!

This Zelda costume is definitely on my wish list. :)

As far as I've gotten so far is planning out the wrap... I'm going to use a zigzag stitch but as the smallest width. If you run it through the machine properly it acquires the look of an applique around the edges. ... but now I'm tempted 'cause I love how you did yours too. It looks great so far!!! I can't wait to watch your progress on these!

Will your man be dressing as Skyloft Link or the Tunic and chainmail ver?

Thankees! I'd love to see what you'd do with your's!

That's actually how I'm doing the wrap/sash; applique! I'm currently finishing it and the brown belt that the sash is latched on to. Will post pics!

He's going to be doing knight Link ;)! I'm actually de-constructing the Twlight Princess costume, using the old tunic as a base and making the new tunic much more durable and clean.

Last edited:

Great idea! Deconstructing old pieces to use as reference for new ones makes things so much easier. I find if gives you a huge amount of self satisfaction too when you see how much better the new one turns out with all of the experience and practice you've acquired in between the two versions.

Do you have a WIP thread for your Smash Brothers/TP Zelda? I'd love to see how you did the details on that one too! It's GORGEOUS! And I love that you went with a different color variation too. The green is particularly suited to your screen name. I like!! Haha!

It's such a good learning process to look at your old costumes!

I guess I could make a WIP thread for those! Especially Zelda. The armor was one of favorite pieces. It is in need of repairs, though. I've worn it out! And thank you! I wanted to stand out from other Zelda's and noticed not to many color variations. Green is also my favorite color ;)!

My brown belt/sash is completed! I'm working on the pattern for the dress today and I totally ran out of white thread so I need to go pick some up to complete the wrap/parachute.

I love that everything I used for the belt portion was in my stash! Buckle is made from foam and the belt from brown vinyl, held together with velcro. My poor dress form has seen better days -_-. Luckily I will be getting a new one tomorrow! WOO!

127_1492.jpg

127_1497.jpg

127_1496.jpg

127_1495.jpg

More soon!

Zelda's Wig: Most go for a golden-blonde, but I'm sticking to the cartoon-y vibe of the game and going for golden yellow. I'm eyeing this wig currently:
32'' Long Straight Long Bangs Yellow Cosplay Wig NEW | eBay

I'm another person planning this costume, and I agree with your choice of the yellow wig. I've seen it done both ways and I feel that if you don't match the colors closely, the rest of the costume looks too bright by comparison.

I'm another person planning this costume, and I agree with your choice of the yellow wig. I've seen it done both ways and I feel that if you don't match the colors closely, the rest of the costume looks too bright by comparison.

I was thinking the same thing. I just think it would be cuter and younger that way. As opposed to older, TP Zelda, then I believe she should have the dark-blonde hair, as per the video game colors.

I've got the dress cut out and I'm working on appliqueing the 'golden' designs onto the sleeves, hem and neck line. I thought about embroidering it, but felt it may take longer than I wanted it to, especially around the hem. Then I thought about painting the designs on. I'm fairly good at this, seeing as how the bottom hem of my variant dress is painted, along with the edging of the bodice and I basically batiked the belt sash.
Sensing_the_Coming_of_Twilight_by_celticruins.jpg

But the gold wasn't coming up as good on the pink as I wanted it to. In fact it almost looked oxidized, so I went with appliqueing again! I'll post pictures of it all together, which should be soon ;)!

Been playing this game lately and really enjoying it. Fantastic work on the costumes! They are wonderful!!! Nice pics too :)

nice costumes, i am more a scifi fan but when i go to con's i see a lot of
great costumes but i dont remember ever seen zelda costumes.
there are not so much of them in europe.

Been playing this game lately and really enjoying it. Fantastic work on the costumes! They are wonderful!!! Nice pics too :)

Thanks! It's a pretty great game! Link to the Past is still my favorite, but this is pretty close!

Appliqueing on more designs to the sleeves/dress!
420276_321174967929917_193671420680273_814762_1689280803_n.jpg

418195_321174414596639_193671420680273_814760_1680413317_n.jpg

Also, here's a great anime-esque makeup tutorial that I'll be using. Changing the teal brows to yellow-blonde, and changing the lid color to something a little more natural. Hatsune Miku Makeup - YouTube

I'm debating on whether to get blue circle lenses, or just stick with a regular blue, as I can use it for my Arwen costume as well:
http://www.youknowit.com/online-shop/blue-glamour-contact-lenses-pair.cfm
http://www.youknowit.com/online-shop/pixie-contact-lenses-pair.cfm
http://www.youknowit.com/online-shop/aqua-glamour-contact-lenses-pair.cfm
http://www.youknowit.com/online-shop/cool-blue-big-eyes-contact-lenses-pair.cfm

Last edited:

Looks great so far! Can't wait to see the final product. The sash turned out beautifully.

that looks spot on!

ive got to ask though, what did you use for gems for the TP zelda? having problem finding suitable ones here. i hope i dont have to make some out of resin with food coloring...

Thanks!

In those pictures I actually made them. But after that I actually got some acrylic gems from the craft store in a bag called The B1g One.

Very little to update with, as I'm going rather slowly. Wig has been ordered! I'm trying to come up with a good solution to building the gold disc belt. I'm really trying to avoid sculpting my own disc tops. I'm trying to find these types of wooden discs somewhere in town, since online they're not going for very cheap. Especially for simple wooden, 2 inch discs -_-: 12 DOMED CIRCLE 11/2 x 5/16 inch by MyLittleWoodShop2 on Etsy

Although there's not enough there and they're a little smaller than I'd like. Any suggestions on this would be great!

I did sculpt the blue diamond on the top of her dress. Done in polymer clay. I'd like to cast this, but I don't have the funds to buy all the casting ingredients at the moment. So I think I'll be redoing it in the future. For right now, it works. I'll post a picture of it painted later!
127_1558.jpg

I WAS appliqueing the hem trim...then I ran out of gold thread ><!
422072_324372960943451_193671420680273_823206_444728341_n.jpg

Getting more later this afternoon. For now, I'm starting on Link!

As for the chainmail, my boyfriend isn't too keen on wearing it again. We borrowed a shirt from a friend and it wasn't made out of a light weight metal, so it REALLY killed his shoulders. So I'm going with a faux verison. I saw this tutorial, and thought it looked rather convincing: Cosplay Tutorials by Eressea-sama on deviantART

Especially for wandering around the GA Ren. Faire all day! So we're ordering this silver mesh: Mesh Fabric - Silver Mesh

More soon!

I am DEFINITELY enjoying this thread! Congratulations, C. Ruins! This is something I very much want to see! (If you wish, I can send you the pictures of the Link I´ve done for a friend of mine, they might serve you as inspiration or problem-solving! I just won´t post them here so as to not hijack your thread :)

Thanks Hermes! I don't mind, you can post them!

Here's a little update: Got my wig! Just cut the bangs and I'm in the middle of doing the hair bindings. Just took a break.

429763_325743047473109_193671420680273_826309_2040810576_n.jpg

430515_325804090800338_193671420680273_826447_1392776068_n.jpg

The dress is nearly complete. I'm placing in grommets for a tie-up closure in the back.
429489_325743250806422_193671420680273_826310_400976344_n.jpg

Good LAWD was that alot of yellow thread on the bottom of the hem. Appliqueing isn't hard; just tedious as hell!

Dress form shots soon! I'm also in the middle of making the gold-disc belt.

LOL @ the 'lot of thread' comment. XD I've done applique like that before and I know your pain!!!! But it looks AMAZING, doesn't it!? ( Rhetorical, IT DOES! I CAN SEE IT IN THE PICTURES!! )

Everything is looking gorgeous so far!!! I'm so excited to see it all come together!!!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back