Line Art BSG Logo

RedTwoX

Sr Member
I picked up one of the $40 roto-cast BSG pistols over at ASAP, and it's roughly 90% complete. Now that I'm finishing up the gun, I need a way to display it. I picked up some 1/4 inch acrylic at Home Depot and started into art work for the plaque. I need a true black and white image with no grey tones. No luck looking for one, so I had to do it myself. There is still an ancient copy of Macromedia Freehand 7 from my college days in my software pile, so I spent a few hours and worked it up. I'm rather proud of the end result. It's not perfect by any means, but it's more than good enough for my purposes.

I've noticed a lot of BSG projects coming up, so I'm throwing this out for the masses. I hope someone finds it helpfull. My way of starting to give back to the community. I'm just posting the 7.5"X7.5" 72 dpi JPG file for right now. I'll put up the EPS file just as soon as I find a place to host it (I can't log in to the free web site I had, it may have expired... it's been a while since I've used that as well)

It has quite litterally been years since the last time I cranked up Freehand, so I was relearning a few things. Constructive criticism is welcome. I won't be doing much work to this in the immediate future, but I'll keep notes in the file directory and revisit it once some more projects are completed.

I hope someone finds this useful. Enjoy.

Looks great. I can use this on my mill and make a metal logo from it. Would look cool as a display front for a BSG ship model.

Thanks a bunch for that. I've actually been looking for a clean black and white image of that patch along with the BSG logo.

I need it for my laser etcher. The logo I etched didn't turn out so great, plus it looked a little plain. The patch would make a great addition. Now I just have to find a good BSG font. ;)

Once again thanks.

BSG.jpg

Originally posted by JediLip@Feb 6 2006, 03:20 AM
Now I just have to find a good BSG font. ;)

[snapback]1177166[/snapback]​

Nice piece JediLip. Is that a MatsuCorp?

This is the one I used:

Famous Fonts BSG

It looks good and the price is right ;) It's only capital letters and many symbols are missing (for example there is no = sign), but it's free and you get what you pay for. It's certainly good enough to knock out a display plaque in my opinion. I spent a good bit time out there grabbing stuff. Some of the fonts have not been made available for free distribution, but they provide links to the sites where they can be purchased. I did find a few dead links, but it's tough to get upset at site dealing in cool stuff for free.

DarthScifi,
If you have any interest in running up a few Galactica emblems in metal, I trust you'll let us know :D I imagine this would look quite impressive in brass.

Originally posted by RedTwoX+Feb 6 2006, 03:56 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedTwoX @ Feb 6 2006, 03:56 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-JediLip
@Feb 6 2006, 03:20 AM
Now I just have to find a good BSG font. ;)

[snapback]1177166[/snapback]​

Nice piece JediLip. Is that a MatsuCorp?

This is the one I used:

Famous Fonts BSG
[/b]

Yes, it was completely built up and painted for me by Matsuo. It's an impressive piece.

Thanks for the font link too.

Hey man, excellent gun. :) And awesome plaque. I love that you cut the corners off. Just to save you some trouble (I know, would have helped more if you had know about it before you made it yourself) you can get the shows logo by the shows own design department in EPS format at www.brandsoftheworld.com Just search Battlestar Galactica. :)
Jon

Originally posted by JKolton@Feb 8 2006, 07:18 PM
Just to save you some trouble (I know, would have helped more if you had know about it before you made it yourself) you can get the shows logo by the shows own design department in EPS format at www.brandsoftheworld.com Just search Battlestar Galactica. :)
Jon
[snapback]1179333[/snapback]​

Good to know about that site. I found several other logos that I can use. Thanks for the tip.

I do think my emblem is a little more accurate than theres. The central symbol is supposed to encroach into the text ring just above "BSG 75", and theirs comes up well short. I would also have had to change the color pallet since their logo is in gold an brown, but that's a quick fix.

Thanks again for the link.

Originally posted by RedTwoX+Feb 8 2006, 06:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedTwoX @ Feb 8 2006, 06:09 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-JKolton
@Feb 8 2006, 07:18 PM
Just to save you some trouble (I know, would have helped more if you had know about it before you made it yourself) you can get the shows logo by the shows own design department in EPS format at www.brandsoftheworld.com Just search Battlestar Galactica. :)
Jon
[snapback]1179333[/snapback]​

Good to know about that site. I found several other logos that I can use. Thanks for the tip.

I do think my emblem is a little more accurate than theres. The central symbol is supposed to encroach into the text ring just above "BSG 75", and theirs comes up well short. I would also have had to change the color pallet since their logo is in gold an brown, but that's a quick fix.

[snapback]1179376[/snapback]​
[/b]

Will you be uploading the source file when you get it finalized? Great work.

Originally posted by SurferGeek@Feb 8 2006, 09:41 PM
Will you be uploading the source file when you get it finalized?  Great work.
[snapback]1179440[/snapback]​

The source file is Macromedia Freehand 7. It's a pretty old piece of software at this point, and I'd be surprised if anyone is still using it. I will be happy to put up an EPS file that will be useful in an large number of different graphics programs. I was finally able to log into the free hosting site I've been using. Looks like they didn't delete my account after all. I'll do a little tweaking this week end. The EPS will probably be up late Sunday.

Originally posted by RedTwoX@Feb 8 2006, 09:09 PM

Good to know about that site.  I found several other logos that I can use.  Thanks for the tip.

I do think my emblem is a little more accurate than theres.  The central symbol is supposed to encroach into the text ring just above "BSG 75", and theirs comes up well short.  I would also have had to change the color pallet since their logo is in gold an brown, but that's a quick fix.

[snapback]1179376[/snapback]​

No prob. :) I'm not sure if it's actually from the production or not. The file by Paul LaCroix is the one I was refering too. It seems there's another one up there now. Watching the show closely, there are at least 3 versions of the logo if not more. For instance, compare the logo on the large metal wall hanging to the patch on the sleeve of the pilots. There's also several differences on the ones used on the wings of the vipers and raptors, though those are more closely related to the officers arm patches. For my own purposes, I created an idealised version of the logo based on the sleeve patches. You can see it in my Battlestar Galactica t-shirt page at my site.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back