LIGHTYEAR costume thread

I'm currently blocking Buzz because I want to create the CGI version first (for my class) then adapt as a cosplay. Getting the really thing then adapting will be the best approach for me. But man those lens distorsions on the promo stuff is hard to guess. Here's what I have so far
As you can see the chest part match but the belt and the crunch dont. Also the shoulders dont match.

charBuzz-001b.png
charBuzz-001a.png
charBuzz-000.png
charBuzz-001c.png

We got a new Buzz lightyear statue at work, and I thought it might make for some helpful reference for some folks.

I uploaded a bunch of photographs to Dropbox

I think I should have gotten most of the little details, but if there's anything specific that's missing, let me know.

View attachment 1579715

View attachment 1579716View attachment 1579718
Dude I love you! the fact that you have a photogrammetry folder ... I can't say thank you enough. I'll be starting my modeling real soon.

And I'm off to the races. Thanks to yuan0621 I was able to create a 3d scan with all the pictures. it's not the best but it will work perfectly.

First parts I modeled went surprisingly fast, let's hope the rest goes as easy as that one. I'll work the legs first and make my way up.

ZBrush Document.jpg

ZBrush Document 2.jpg

And I'm off to the races. Thanks to yuan0621 I was able to create a 3d scan with all the pictures. it's not the best but it will work perfectly.

First parts I modeled went surprisingly fast, let's hope the rest goes as easy as that one. I'll work the legs first and make my way up.
How did you manage to do a photogrammetry. There is 48 pictures to use and I use them all and the result dont work at all. I used RealityCapture.

How did you manage to do a photogrammetry. There is 48 pictures to use and I use them all and the result dont work at all. I used RealityCapture.
I used RealityCapture as well. First time I thought it didn't work but actually there so much background noise/data that you need to zoom in to find buzz.

I'm nearly done on the calf and will move on to the knee and foot.
ZBrush Document 2.jpg

One weird thing tho ... I found that there's 2 different designs for the back green plate. The one I modeled is the one in all the trailers but they made a thinner one that you can see on toys and promo shots. What the hell Pixar?

These are the examples where the back green plate is thick.
1654810081333.png
Capture.JPG
2022-05-26 17.58.17.jpg

And here are the examples where the back green plate is thin. I kinda prefer that one.
1654810027235.png
283447094_555542009484547_6344466389359780646_n.jpg
1654810209033.png

Last edited:
Looking good. On the plate; you would think it more "functional" as a thinner plate as it moves with the ankle bend and strides, so it would allow for the shin/calf pieces to move past the green. Almost as if they "seat" into it when he's standing still?

Following closely~!
Ive cosplayed as Buzz Lightyear for 6yrs using Space Marine armor as my skeleton base.
I want to give my side note here that the promo shots, statues, and some figures have bizarre proportions for Buzz.
Idk if anyone has noticed it like I have.

Ex: Arm thickness, hip placement, etc. I'm waiting patiently to make this armor because I wanna make sure if I get it done once, its done right! So far there's some amazing 3D models of the armor but the armor is not proportioned correctly.. its difficult to explain in words on a screen.

One thing to keep in mind though is the shoulder armor isn't separate from the bicep armor. If you watch some of the animation scenes, its connected to the bicep and rotates into the armor.

We know from the latest trailer the movie takes a 60 year jump. All the promo material has him dressed in the suit on the right. But at the end of the latest trailer he salutes in the suit on the left.

I wonder if thats the "final suit" or if its an "older render" of his suit that made its way into the trailer.
After watching the movie wednesday, you were right: there is two suit. I dont really like that second generation suit. I prefer the alpha suit.

Nah I did try to do a scan with the same pictures you have and realityCapture give me way too much componenets and they are all flat

Are you talking about the icon in the book or the 3d scan from the pictures of the statue?
No I’m talking about the scans from the art book. I thought that’s what you meant. Those two pages with the XL mission logos and Star Command logos.

Scan of the book is done. But its the photogrammetry my issue.

Yes I plan to do it: Scan of the book to transform as vectoriel files

But if you wait for it then buy the book. Lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back