lightsabers

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by pcasperson1975, May 2, 2015.

1. pcasperson1975

pcasperson1975 New Member

So I'm looking to make my own lightsabers and would like some technical specifications for this.

2. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Hi pcasperson1975 and welcome aboard ... which saber specifically did you have in mind ... Luke's ROTJ?

[​IMG]

. . . or ESB?

[​IMG]

Or just any random custom made?

Chaim

3. Usagi Pilgrim

Usagi Pilgrim Sr Member

Well, you need to decide which saber you want to make.:confused

Is it one from any of the films? Is it to be a custom? Do you want real, authentic parts? Do you want it to be machined?

Lots of variables to what you're asking, so I'd suggest, decide which one you'd like to make, then do a search for that saber in the search bar at the top. Lots of saber conversations going on right now. If you're not sure of the name of a particular saber, drop me a PM & I'll see if I can steer you in the right direction.:thumbsup

BTW, welcome to the RPF.

4. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As to building, most lightsabers are either made from a chromed tube or they are machined on a lathe from (mostly) solid aluminium stock.

Many builders start out with chromed brass sink tubes from the hardware store. The downside with them is that the brass shows where you have cut it.
    I like aluminium tubes. Aluminium is quite easy to work with and it is what many of the lightsabers in the movies were made of.

Tools: Sink tubes are best cut with a tube cutter (if you can find one that can cut 1 ½"). Otherwise hacksaw with miter box, Dremel, files, and sandpaper for finishing.