Lightsabers from Star Wars Visions

AustinHicks

Hi all. Just thought I'd start a thread about the lightsabers from Star Wars Visions.

And to share my rough, eyeball measurement, 3D model of Kara's lightsaber from episode 5 The Ninth Jedi:
1632503693042.png

I was also wondering if anyone else is working on replicating any of the lightsabers or props from Visions.

Wow great model! And quick work too haha.
That’s the saber I knew I wanted to see irl right away. I’ve been grabbing screenshots of that saber and the one from “The Village Bride.”

So awesome can’t wait to see more!

Wow great model! And quick work too haha.
That’s the saber I knew I wanted to see irl right away. I’ve been grabbing screenshots of that saber and the one from “The Village Bride.”

So awesome can’t wait to see more!
Thanks!
I'd really love to model the other lightsabers in the episode too. They'll just be a bit trickier because there's less close up shots of them.
ss03.png

If you'd like to check out different angles of my Kara saber models you can spin it around here: Kara's Lightsaber - Star Wars Visions - 3D model by Austin Hicks (@AustinHicks) [136e552]

I also couldn't help but do a render with the blade ignited:
R06.png

I also want to model the lightsaber from the The Village Bride. But I couldn't find enough shots of it to know what certain parts like the grip and pommel look like. So if anyone has any, or has come across some concept art of it, that they can share, I'd model it in a heartbeat.

Alright... that's annoying. This poster art for the he Ninth Jedi on the official Star Wars twitter page shows some areas where my model is a little off. Like the belt clip has a slight bend at the end, the black dot near the emitter should be convex instead of flush, and the black rings on the grip should be slightly more raised.

Love the interpretations here! This is my own WIP version of the lightsaber:
visions1.png

visions 2.png

I thought the bar at the bottom looked kind of like a motorcycle or bike brake, so in my head-canon that is the activation switch for the saber-- which to me really fits in well with George Lucas' original 2 handed, samurai style fights where the hands would maintain solid contact with the grip at all times! I'm planning on 3-d printing it and using a pen spring to make it moveable, and use fabric ties for the decoration at the bottom of the handle.

Last edited:
Got my first draft printed out. Gotta say, I love the feel of this saber. I based mine off of this pic and eyeballed the details with screenshots from the episode:
d8142400-1c76-11ec-9fc6-7db93704f496.cf.jpg

I set the length at 12" based off of other saber hilts. It ended up being much thinner and lighter than others Ive printed, and feels unique in the hand.

The reference images I found were annoying to work with-- the dimensions change shot-to-shot, as most animated things tend to do. But I think I found a happy medium for feel.

Few details left to print out, but my printer is leaking filament so I have to take some time and do some maintenance on it.

IMG_1514.jpg
IMG_1515.jpg
IMG_1516.jpg

It looks amazing Godspeed

(I have to get a move on trying to model my second version.)
Thank you! And yes, you do! I'm interested to see how your model evolves.

What modeling software are you using? Everything looks so clean in your design-- the transitions on the block on the emitter flows so smoothly into the emitter.

Thank you! And yes, you do! I'm interested to see how your model evolves.

What modeling software are you using? Everything looks so clean in your design-- the transitions on the block on the emitter flows so smoothly into the emitter.
I use Maya. And it took me a lot of effort to model the emitter housing. So I'm glad it's not one of the parts I need to make big changes to.
1633526508484.png

I don't know if you use zbrush at all, but using live booleans can save you a lot of time if your final goal is to 3d print especially on parts like that. That leaves you the option to also go back and make changes w/o loosing time reworking the topology since it's a non destructive work flow.

I don't know if you use zbrush at all, but using live booleans can save you a lot of time if your final goal is to 3d print especially on parts like that. That leaves you the option to also go back and make changes w/o loosing time reworking the topology since it's a non destructive work flow.
I've used zBrush a before in the past. But I can't say I ever quite got a handle on how to use it properly. Nevertheless, I'll have to take a look at that.

I've just been using simple hard surface modeling techniques to get the topology I'm after.

yeah I ignored hard surface modeling in zbrush for a long time then I finally dedicated a month to it. I've saved countless hours and headaches using when it makes sense to use it.

Gnomon workshop online has the best video series for learning zbrush and I think it's around 50 bucks a month to subscribe. All you need is one month.

This saber I'm working on I blocked out in maya, made my cutout shapes in maya, kicked it out to zbrush and and used live booleans and zremesher. You can see on the grip how well zremesh worked. I got the same results for the emitter. This work flows saves me hours in retopology while allowing me to edit the boolean shape and never loose any work or destroy what I'm working on.
zrm3.jpgzrm4.jpgzrm1.jpg

I think a good design would be a Katar—a push dagger design from India.

You would have two sabers that almost form a pointed “V” (perhaps with a Tonga design running down the arms.

This might entrap single sabers and yank them out of a defender’s hand.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back