Lightsaber Repair Help!!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Maison113

I recently got an LGToys lightsaber from AliExpress. It was great until it stopped working. I opened it up to find that some wires had been disconnected from the connector between the two sets of wires coming from the main board and leading to the LED. Because of this, I had to scrap the connector and just directly connect the two sets of wires to each other. This worked fine until a wire came undone from the solder on the main board. When I tried to reconnect it (without soldering, as I couldn't find my soldering gun), the LED came back on, but wouldn't turn off when I hit the switch. Also, even though I could get it to turn on, the color wouldn't change either. My first thought would be to re-solder it, but I thought I'd get a second opinion, as this isn't exactly my area of expertise. I'd appreciate any advice I can get. This saber was a little costly and I'd like to be able to fix it. I included a link to a picture (I'm not quite sure how to insert an image directly.) 20210120_183505.jpg

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

v312

I'd suggest to disconnect the battery (if the wires are directly soldered to it - unsolder the red one from the battery or from the board) then solder the loose red wire from the picture to the + terminal and reconnect all 4 wires to the LED and make sure to connect the R from the board to the R wire on the LED and so on. Make sure to isolate them well with tape or something so they don't accidently short each other or something else later when you swing the saber. Then connect back the battery and try to power on.
I'm not familiar with this board in particular, but I've seen other boards freeze if you short them somewhere randomly with a loose wire. Then the LED might be on, but the board won't respond to button presses until the battery is disconnected or totally discharged (that's why I'm suggesting to disconnect it. Also it is generally a good idea not to solder on a powered board). If it still does not work as expected - there's a chance some component got fried.