Lightsaber Display Box WIP ( with “found parts” )

So after a bit of a hiatus.. back to the box! I want to find some more greeblies for the inside. Intricate like. I found some heat syncs and a few other bits and parts from various wooden puzzles. Also I have quite a few bars of various sized brass rods and tubing. Not sure how I will arrange it but I want to fill it with interesting bits… also, I’m not happy with the size of the window and also I think I’m going to change the color scheme a bit.. I’m all for suggestions. I think perhaps an “empire” box? The hilt size is limited. I tried to fit a V2 but the door hits the clamp so it’s a no go. That got me thinking …what would make sense for this box then??
I’d like for it to somewhat feel purposeful as if it was plucked off set somewhere…
Again. Suggestions would be awesome

Triin any progress on this? I've purchased a 42" case that I'm making progress on and will have 2 plexi windows that I'm working out, so I'm interested to see what you've come up with for attaching yours. Pictures coming soon.

Well after tinkering I ended up getting one of these
Plastic/ acrylic picture holder.

C9FE9713-EAFF-49F8-87CA-088915344528.jpeg

I cut it down to fit the inside and used CPU cooler / heat sync screws to mount it on the inside. Because those particular screws have threading at both ends, I could mount it and the knurling section creates the perfect spacer.

15C20846-FFE3-4137-AC6C-9AFED19BEC29.jpeg

I lost some of the usable space inside the box but I found it looks more complete when mounting this way versus on the top side. Also the screws have a cool spring nut that looks fantastic on the outside.
32FF9785-F862-4F47-81B5-AE1E7B93BB9A.jpeg

I thought a lot about what Ridire Firean said and ended up sending it straight to black. For some reason it now speaks “ 1989 Keaton batman mobile / wing contraption “ or even some kind of proton something. Hard to see in the pictures but I sprayed it with silver , then to black and then removed to reveal scuffs etc. I have some decals coming but I’m still not sure what direction to take this. I don’t think it’s suitable for lightsabers any more . I mean you could fit one in but yeah , it’s a tight squeeze. Maybe I’ll machine a cc chamber with a crystal that lights up and blinks?

I think the issue now is “ what movie universe does this thing live in?” :lol: What ever the case may be, it looks fantastic with the blinkies lol
CD4F620B-F98B-4932-A7D0-5A0714424CA4.jpeg

Hey Triin ! Remember, I'm just not a fan of brown. Once you added in the weathering the case looked much improved.

This new all black version really screams SITH SYNTHETIC CRYSTAL CREATOR!!!

I'd black out the nuts and hardware on the inside of the window, it's too Home Depot looking. I like the look of the outside hardware but maybe replace the blue paint with red.

If you'd gone silver with a black ring around the window, you'd be on your way to a Flux Capacitor! ;)

Keep at it!

Yeah I haven’t really done much finish work on the interior but I did plan to cover those up / weather / detail in the inside.

The Sith Synthetic Crystal Creator is a fantastic idea!!!

The blue you see is actually a reflection.. it’s actually silver. I plan the weather and black wash those .

Last edited:
Mounted this panel to a pole today. It’s from a large sat dish. The pole will be strapped to something eventually . Right now it’s on a stand of sorts so it’s easier to add to / work on.

236D1D93-5DD4-4716-908B-7F34CCBA4D12.jpeg

Dude, this just keeps getting better!
Thanks man. I think I’m going to expand it. I want to make a sort of “ship panel / hold” that I can attach other sabers to. I want to make it out of found parts as well.. I have ideas for design and today I’m scavenging. I really really want this to look realistic in terms of materials and full of details..

quickly modeled a concept what I was talking about. The more I modeled, the more I want this built lol. I didnt put in every detail I plan to do but there are other bits and greeblies that would be there to give this a real world feel. Also, there would probably be more lightsaber slots... or maybe not.. maybe just my favorites displayed and under ( not in view) would be like "Stow" drawers... for all my sabers / saberly building bits... I desperately need a place for all my supplies and whatnots to go and I think this would be an awesome solution.

conceptrender.jpg

Last edited:
I have to admit that I was beginning to agree and question which universe it belonged in, but your rendering brings it all back into perspective. This is awesome! You would be doing the world a disservice if you didn't build it. But... you just added a 10x factor to your build time... take lots of photos! I'm going to go make some popcorn.

Thanks!! Yes I have determine measurements. We know the box dimensions.. so now I’ll work on blueprints / measurements from the render. I’ll post those as well and then turn this thread into a build log ( upcoming ) . Stay tuned! :D

Started on some greeblies today for the display.. I have a box of these USAF intercom panels.. printed a housing for one. There are two lamp bulbs that I will backlight with leds and be controlled by the toggles…Not sure where it will live in the display though. Probably on the upper curved panel..
I also plan to begin the shell of the display today after several revisions of the blueprint… more on that later ;)

BF7B12D7-BF9E-425B-B743-1799BD2B8B69.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back