Lightsaber box (so many pics)!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

So I made my first ESB Graflex a few months ago as a gift for my brother, and I realized I didn't have anything cool to present it in.

So I made a box! And I thought you might like to see it!

This is my first time attempting anything like this, so be gentle you monsters. Also, I realized while making this that there is probably an officially recognized container for a lightsaber but I've never seen one. If anyone has info on that I'd be curious to know!

Anyway. Started with a hinged wine box, ten bucks on the ol' Amazon:

IMG_1439.jpg

Got rid of the lame clasp on the front, to make it easier to open with the Force.

IMG_1440.jpg

Put down a base layer of silver, since my plan was to make it look like a beat up painted metal box:

IMG_1441.jpg

Printed out a Jedi insignia while it dried and realized I'm in dire need of more black ink:

IMG_1442.jpg

STENCIL'D!:

IMG_1444.jpg

So I read somewhere about weathering with Vaseline and I was skeptical but intrigued. Greased up the corners and the raised areas like Lunchlady Doris greasing up Groundskeeper Willie:

IMG_1445.jpg

Slapped some dark blue paint on (you can already see the paint beading up where I applied the Vaseline):

IMG_1446.jpg

The same tutorial I read suggested sandpaper, but it just sorta smeared everything around. I found that the Vaseline keeps the paint so wet that wiping it off with a paper towel was actually way more effective.

IMG_1447.jpg

Applied the stencil to the top and slapped on some more Vaseline where I had already weathered on top, then applied a coat of copper paint:

IMG_1448.jpg IMG_1452.jpg

Dried, wiped off the same portion of the copper, did some additional detail work with an Exacto, and voila!

IMG_1458.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to try to finish the custom-fitted inside, which involves some black cloth and some expanding foam, and maybe some additional weathering. Might be a total disaster. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

mugatu

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Dude, nice box! Your brother is one lucky guy. I really like the copper painted insignia.

NeoRutty

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Cool. Hoping to build my brother one from a Romans replica. Was thinking I needed a box for it wine was my go to as well. Didn't think about putting the insignia on. Good call.