Lightsaber advice.

dascoyne

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm looking into getting my first real lightsaber.

I have my eye set on the Saberforge Dissident saber which looks just about perfect for my taste. I like the understated detailing without it overly ornamented with functionless greeblies.

dissident-v1-3_1024x1024@2x.jpg

At first I decided on basic black leather grip and their "Champion grade" electronics. I didn't opt for the "Hero grade" electronics because I got the sense they were a little more problematic. Besides, I don't need dialogue or music coming from my saber. I just it to make the right sounds when I swing it and bump into objects.

I heard mixed things about Saberforge in general, but I got the sense that they might be a little better nowadays. Thoughts?

I was just about to pull the trigger on this until I read about NeoPixel and Proffie Soundboard with SmoothSwing Fonts.

NeoPixel seems cool mainly for the scrolling deployment. I don't think I need the extra party effects and, for the price, I think I might be happy with a normal LED blade. I want this toy to last and with with NeoPixel it just seems like adding a more stuff that can go wrong. Then again some of the effects look pretty nice.

But what really excites me is what I read about SmoothSwing Fonts. It sounds like the Holy Grail of effects. Is it as good as it seems?
---
Right now I'm looking at getting a bare Saberforge Dissident hilt with the Saberforge V4 blade or NeoPixel blade and installing the electronics myself. Is project just a can of worms or is it pretty straightforward?

It's not beneath me to farm out the work if it requires extensive modifications.

Advice?

As one of the few actual ProffieOS software contributors and acknowledging a hair of bias....

yes. Smoothswing IS all that and a bag of chips. Plecter CFX or Proffie really are the top reigning boards right now. Simply for the vast power of their swings.

now, also the responsive blade effects can be very subtle on Proffie. They don't have to be "party effects".... but things like slight color shift as you swing etc add a lot of texture to your saber experience.

i personally have owned in-hilt LED and at this point I am pretty much exclusively neopixel for my sabers. For me, there is no going back. Hehe.

saberforge hilts are nice, their wait times and customer service are not. I own 3 SF hilts and each was excruciating in terms of a buying experience.

i also have not been impressed with their champion (Sabercore) boards at all. Hero tier uses NEC boards last I checked.

every last SF hilt I have I've either rewired and re-installed, or will be doing so.

Just my thoughts as a routine FX saber enthusiast (and installer) as well as someone who actually is working inside ProffieOS.

if You can solder and are patient. You can install a saber yourself, there are lots of folks on FX forums willing to assist and help (including myself) answer any questions as they arise.

I agree 100% with Verity about the Neo pixel. Once you experience a saber with that feature, an in hilt LED just doesn't cut it any longer. I own 3 sabers, one of which is a Neo pixel with a CF10 board. Its the only saber I still consistently pick up and play with. The other 2 are relegated to static displays at this point.

I agree 100% with Verity about the Neo pixel. Once you experience a saber with that feature, an in hilt LED just doesn't cut it any longer. I own 3 sabers, one of which is a Neo pixel with a CF10 board. Its the only saber I still consistently pick up and play with. The other 2 are relegated to static displays at this point.

^ this 150%.

I have been collecting sabers for many years, and have owned pretty much every soundboard made. My Master Kota (pictured) is a Proffies/NeoPixel setup, and it EASILY outclasses every single saber I own. I use to fire up my JK Saber's Starkillers all the time, they're now shelf queens. SmoothSwing/NeoPixel is absolutely the only way to go.

Sabers.jpg

As one of the few actual ProffieOS software contributors and acknowledging a hair of bias....

yes. Smoothswing IS all that and a bag of chips. Plecter CFX or Proffie really are the top reigning boards right now. Simply for the vast power of their swings.

now, also the responsive blade effects can be very subtle on Proffie. They don't have to be "party effects".... but things like slight color shift as you swing etc add a lot of texture to your saber experience.

i personally have owned in-hilt LED and at this point I am pretty much exclusively neopixel for my sabers. For me, there is no going back. Hehe.

saberforge hilts are nice, their wait times and customer service are not. I own 3 SF hilts and each was excruciating in terms of a buying experience.

i also have not been impressed with their champion (Sabercore) boards at all. Hero tier uses NEC boards last I checked.

every last SF hilt I have I've either rewired and re-installed, or will be doing so.

Just my thoughts as a routine FX saber enthusiast (and installer) as well as someone who actually is working inside ProffieOS.

if You can solder and are patient. You can install a saber yourself, there are lots of folks on FX forums willing to assist and help (including myself) answer any questions as they arise.
Thanks! I'm glad I came to the right place. I'll be sure to hit you up with questions ... probably 4-5 months from now, I'd guess.

also for the brightness you can't beat it.

here is a pixel compared to a Tri-Cree in-hilt LED:

View attachment 1256602
OK. I'm sold on the NeoPixel. It's a no-brainer.

I have been collecting sabers for many years, and have owned pretty much every soundboard made. My Master Kota (pictured) is a Proffies/NeoPixel setup, and it EASILY outclasses every single saber I own. I use to fire up my JK Saber's Starkillers all the time, they're now shelf queens. SmoothSwing/NeoPixel is absolutely the only way to go.

View attachment 1256610
Nice! I'm on it, then.

Do any of these neopixel things have the weird start up noises that announces what the font or the sound board is? I have no idea what I'm talking about BTW, but when you pull the key out of mine it talks and there is nothing I can do about it. I hate it.

Do any of these neopixel things have the weird start up noises that announces what the font or the sound board is? I have no idea what I'm talking about BTW, but when you pull the key out of mine it talks and there is nothing I can do about it. I hate it.

You’re referring to the boot file. If you were to remove the SD card and load it into a computer, it would show as boot.wav

Thanks Vader45 for that demo!

One looks like a real sabre, the other looks like a toy more or less.

I've looked at quite a few sabre videos on YouTube but that short one you posted was the best I've seen for comparing the two styles.

I wouldn't support Saber forge in any capacity. Their products are hit or miss, including their hilts, and the owner of the company has been banned from many forums (including theRPF) for outright theft and open death threats to customers and their families over criticism of their products. My personal advice is to avoid them like the plague.

It's not something that gets talked about often but should be known by everyone because someone like that doesn't deserve your hard earned money. Sadly most people don't know that but they should and yet the guy keeps profiting off people because he makes an affordable product. You may get a great piece or you may get a clunker. It's a gamble at best.

I can't speak for NEOPixel but it does look incredible. I still use in hilt LED and single die LEDS at that. I much prefer the simplicity and better runtime. Though I certainly see the appeal of the NEOPixel tech.

That is a trait of the sound font. If it is a type of board you have control over the sound font for, it is boot.wav doing that. Just delete it or make it an empty wav sound.

I wouldn't support Saber forge in any capacity. Their products are hit or miss, including their hilts, and the owner of the company has been banned from many forums (including theRPF) for outright theft and open death threats to customers and their families over criticism of their products. My personal advice is to avoid them like the plague.

It's not something that gets talked about often but should be known by everyone because someone like that doesn't deserve your hard earned money. Sadly most people don't know that but they should and yet the guy keeps profiting off people because he makes an affordable product. You may get a great piece or you may get a clunker. It's a gamble at best.

I can't speak for NEOPixel but it does look incredible. I still use in hilt LED and single die LEDS at that. I much prefer the simplicity and better runtime. Though I certainly see the appeal of the NEOPixel tech.

yeah that IS the downside to pixel. They eat batteries like snacks. My 21700s get about 1hr 15min of runtime.

Thanks for the enlightenment. As much as I like their designs I might just put that project off. I'm now shopping among online custom makers with NEOPixel/Proffieboard lightsabers. I've been looking at Korbanth, Vader's Vault (with Plecter), Dark Force Custom, Electrum Sabercrafts, Genesis Custom Sabers .... Does anyone have makers to recommend?

Last edited:
I'd have to mirror the NO SUPPORT for SaberForge as well...

There are MANY sabersmiths out there.. maybe poke around on the FX-Sabers.com forum for a bit..

My personal recommendation would be to STAY away from VadersVault.. regardless of how good their pictures of their overpriced 'work' look.. they are crooks/thieves/scammers, and would hate for anyone else to get ripped off by them. (spit)..

Thanks for the enlightenment. As much as I like their designs I might just put that project off. I'm now shopping among online custom makers with NEOPixel/Proffieboard lightsabers. I've been looking at Korbanth, Vader's Vault (with Plecter), Dark Force Custom, Electrum Sabercrafts, Genesis Custom Sabers .... Does anyone have makers to recommend?

yeah. Honestly you will get a "better" saber if you 1.) buy the EMPTY hilt you want... pick the HILT you want vs a complete saber.

then... 2.) contract a capable INSTALLER to make it into a functioning saber. You can guarantee you get what you want vs what some cookie cutter vendor will offer. You can go as budget or as extraordinarily extravagant as you like.

there are plenty of capable installers of these types of sabers.

^ great point..

Some background on some saberforge 'products'..

In stead of using a proper heatsink.. they would sometimes use 'nuts' (as in buts & bolts).... and hot glue!

updated: Actually, that may have been UltraSabers who did that? (been soooo long!) LOL

However...
The ONLY thing I have ever maintained about SaberForge is that I really like their VISUAL designs mostly.. (not all)... but their ability to output QUALITY products just isnt there.. and you get scammed.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back