LIghting the Moebius 1/32 Cylon Raider

Mr.Engineer

Just like to show you guys on the lighting system I made for a friend's Cylon Kit. I would have been sooner but due to my Mom's condition, I had to leave my job. Good or bad, all of a sudden I have a lot of time to R&D on this system. Bear in mind, this is a prototype. I just want to share with you guys on how I did the darn thing.

Unfortunately, the images are big as I just discovered Photobucket a week ago and I actually do not know how to resize them to smaller pics :$. I am afraid it might screw up this thread. Can the mods help?

CylonRaider047.jpg

If you have the same model, you would know how small the circuit board is, about the width of your pinkie.

CylonRaider040.jpg

The hardest part was soldering the LEDs which was a PITA

CylonRaider046.jpg

The board needs minimal drilling (just one for the model's butt where you need to insert the power cables) so its easy for my friend to put it in and switch it on.

CylonRaider048.jpg

The model my friend lent it to me, I discovered there are already 'holes' for the wiring to go through, its as if Moebius designed it to be that way. So, the circuit board has:

- 10 red LEDs as the roving eye
- a pair of white semi-flicker LEDs as thrusters
- a pair of red LEDs for missile bay (and if he does not want to build it, he can cut it off or leave it in there)
- runs from 2x AAA or 3x AAA. We discussed about using button/coin-cells and magnets but, nah.

I've just sent the model over to him for painting and I can't wait for him to complete his missile bay and paint the model.

CylonRaider052.jpg

Tested the protorype for more than 24 hours and its still going strong....

Anyway, the full story is here in my Website.

Well, thanks.

Tell you what. I'll mosey over to the PCB vendor and see if they could reproduce my design or not.

I'm not so worried about their minimum quantity. It's the soldering of the LEDs that'll kill my eyes :lol

Update:

I have received a lot of enquiries on this and after talking to my friend, we can say that the project is a 70% 'GO'. My vendor have just emailed my design to the PCB maker and after a lot of to and fro, I think they can make it. Keep your fingers crossed for good news next week.

Meanwhile, I am going to source some $$$ from my Wife and friends since I am not working anymore... :behave

Hello, Guys and Girls.

Just want to tell you that I have received an email from Starship Modeler that our Cylon Raider Lighting System has reached their store. So, you might want to give John Lester a shout if you want to get one.

In the meantime, we are Developing what could be our second product. Or not. Depending on the response of the Cylon lighting System. So, here is a sneak peek. (You might want to turn on the annotations)

2012-06-19-523.mp4 - YouTube

ow2SFHZRKiE

Last edited:
Thanks, guys.

@tnaig001
Erm, its too small and flat fibre-optics are not so common nowadays, especially where I live.

@clancambell
The electronics is already done, more or less. Just want to figure out how to get more $$$ to develop it into full production boards plus a little surprise. Right now, I have spent all into this Cylon Kit and hopefully, they sell well. Otherwise, the next project is a no go. :confused

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back