Lighsaber purchasing help?

Transcendant

Hello RPF community. I am looking into purchasing my first higher quality lightsaber. I'm looking to spend ~$500 on it. Would like to have something with sound and other options if possible for that price. Also willing to build something although I am pretty newb at anything electrical and don't have any background with electronics other than basic soldering. I read up a little on the UltraSabers experience thread. I got 3 super cheap basic sabers from them with no issues but from what I read on the thread I would like to avoid further business with them. Could anyone help guide me so I spend my 500$ wisely? Your help is appreciated!

-Michael

Hi Michael,

and welcome! :) Do you have any preferences regarding an Original Trilogy OT lightsaber or any of the Prequels? Vintage parts based such as a Graflex? Licensed Replica or custome made, which in my own experience are sometimes even more screen-accurate?

Chaim

I feel like i am going to be struck down for saying this.... but other than the original trilogy sabers i couldn't point one out other than Duku's. And to be honest I don't like the replica looking graflex sabers as much. I'm thinking something more basic and combat wielding appropriate. I don't like the large buttons or sabers with parts protruding off the main body. I like the idea of a light side saber with some nice contrast but more simplistic body style that would make more sense for using to duel once in a while. I shopped around a bit and like the "fury", "sinister prophecy" and "Monarch" (don't like the big button) of SaberForge. But also read on here they has some issues in the past. Genesis sabers also had a model I liked:
http://genesiscustomsabers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/IMG_7000-e1318374031467.jpg

Try these sites also. You've already found the genesis custom sabers site.

Vader's vault
(check out their havoc and fury designs: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=35476.0 )
LDM Custom Sabers
(specifically check these out: http://www.ldmcustomsabers.com/malakytesabersforsale.htm )

saberforge is ok and his original designs are interesting, but I've heard his machining tends to leave sharp edges.

If you're willing to learn a bit more, try also the lightsaber forums at The Custom Saber Shop and FX-Sabers | Lightsabers | Graflex | Custom Sabers | Movie Props | Sound Cards

-C

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'll try to spend some time checking out the forums and custom shops. I'm also trying to make a set of republic Jedi armor and make a robe before the 3rd. 0_0 A lofty goal but I hope I can crank it out in time. We are having a may 4th celebration here is West Sacramento. I thought a cool new saber would be nice to compliment the armor, but i have a low end ultrasaber that will do if I cant get a new one made in time. I just read someone from saberFX.com will be here too as a vendor and might have some build a saber stuff with them. Maybe I can pick his/her brain at the event when I'm not doing star wars face painting for the kids.

Wow I'm not sure I'll be building a saber anytime soon. So much to learn first. Definitely going to Design something for comission though. Looks like I'll also be saving up and spending more than I thought. :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back