Lifesize X-Wing Fighter

Delmustator

Sr Member
Anyone catch this on CNN iReports. Full size X-Wing fighter in the background.

558281_375263722508295_100000740110316_1151256_1838783073_n.jpg

I've posed in front of a 4/5 scale model before. And if you look at the second pic, you can see people have signed it. AFAIK, LFL owns it.

The Wook

3895245.jpeg

4048691.jpeg

Anybody ever goes near Kent, Ohio. There's a great diner (Mike's Place) that has a large XWing fighter in the parking lot .

Findingyourself_photo2.jpg

I used to be a co-owner of one of the German made ones...

I would say that 3/4 scale is about right. I could get inside and shut the cockpit, but just barely...And I'm a little over 5'10...It was pretty cramped.

Also...The little R2 dome on the back was only 12-14" diameter at most...The real R2 measures a little over 18" diameter.

FYI :)

Jason

is the x-wing hanging from the ceiling of Starcade at the Disneyland in Anaheim California one of those German made ones?

I'm not sure when the German versions were made, but the one that's hanging in Disneyland was there for very long time, at least since 1986.

There was one hanging from the ceiling of the F.A.O. Schwarz toy store in Orlando years ago. I'm not sure if it's still there any more, but I'm pretty sure it was a 3/4 one as well.

I would think that making full size x-wing can't be too difficult for even small companies, and certainly several places can benefit from having them,

like all the Disney parks all over the world, each of which can benefit by having one hanging in the tomorrow land, near Star Tours and such.

and many aero-space museums also can draw in more visitors by having one in their inventory.

and also comicon and star wars conventions could use one no doubt.

The ability to build one is probably not a limitation. But by your own examples, a 3/4 scale is/has been used is most those cases. So it begs the question: Why pay for 1:1 when you van get away with 3/4 scale. With the countless number of people who have seen these, I bet easily 90%+ had no idea is was not 3/4 scale. I had no idea at the time when I posed with it. I was impressed with seeing it and it did not occur to me to try to envision if it was true to 1:1 scale. And I am a huge Star Wars fan with a interest in X-Wings. Now factor in the general population of people who see these. Kids, grown ups that don't know anything/very little/or don't care, the casual fan, or even hard core fans that do not have a high need/or understanding for such detail. What? Someone is not going to want to pose with it, visit an park or museum because it is undersized?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back