Lifesize Return of the Jedi Chewbacca PICS!

dang no kiddin, whats up with the awkward criticisms in showoff threads today? :unsure

looks really great man.

the hair as the wook pointed out is very VERY well done in ROTJ fasion, in fact i think the hair is one of the best parts of this piece.

i get the thing swampbug was trying to say about the recesed eyes thing, because mayhews eyes often seemed a little further back, but i think there intention back then was to get the look say ROTS or even the wooks tour suit, it just sits a little better, as they have made advancements etc. in the construction and fit to the wearer. (correct me if im wrong wook)

and im sure anyone who has met Mr. Mayhew can attest...

he has VERY bright blue eyes, not to sound... :love but they seriously are a crazy bright blue. and there were no contacts used for chewy so...

and the mouth issue is due to the lighting etc. its there on the real prop, its probably that its more visible in the light the guy has it in.

now im not saying its an EXACT ROTJ screen used 100% perfect replica...

but then again ive never seen one, in real life, on forums... anywhere.

and i know quite a few people that would know so...

yeah in short, your post was a little outa place for a showoff thread and there are actual credible reasons why. :cheers

peace.

<div class='quotetop'>(The Wook @ Jun 5 2006, 04:48 PM) [snapback]1256795[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(swampbug @ Jun 5 2006, 07:43 PM) [snapback]1256738[/snapback]
Nice. I think it looks pretty freaky though, Or do you want. I dont know how easy it is to tweak something like this. Something about the afro poof hair, and the neon blue eyes, the freaky long stretched grin, the metal teeth. The fur quality and color are great, and the props on him are cool as heck.

Comb the hair differently maybe.

Tone the eyes back a little, darken them up, push them back more so more shadow hits them.

Relax the mouth, or fake it by combing hair in front of the outer corners to mask that long stretchy grin.

I dont know what the deal is with the teeth, they just look metal, and squarish.
[/b]

Rather harsh post, swampbug, considering this is a showoff thread of a finished piece of art; not a thread in which the author's asking for criticism. In fact if you had taken the time to read his original post, you would've seen that the mannequin has already been placed with a buyer. (And I'm sure an ecstatic buyer, at that.)

Besides, you should really reacquaint yourself with the ROTJ Chewie look if you think things like the hair are wrong--because rileyreplicas got Chewie's ROTJ look just right.

chewhalsband.jpg

chewshuttle.jpg

The Wook
[/b][/quote]

Oldken and Wook, No need for coming to my defense but it is appreciated :) Everyone has their opinion and I am always willing to hear people out. I added some new pics of Chewbacca in the sunlight and that changes the look entirely. The big thing with the first pics was that the light source was BELOW Chewbacca. The light in my house was not overhead so it made the eyes look brighter as well as the mouth look a little odd but I am sure that everyone will agree that the outside pics look a lot better :)

<div class='quotetop'>(rileyreplicas @ Jun 5 2006, 06:58 PM) [snapback]1256861[/snapback]</div>
Oldken and Wook, No need for coming to my defense but it is appreciated :) Everyone has their opinion and I am always willing to hear people out. I added some new pics of Chewbacca in the sunlight and that changes the look entirely. The big thing with the first pics was that the light source was BELOW Chewbacca. The light in my house was not overhead so it made the eyes look brighter as well as the mouth look a little odd but I am sure that everyone will agree that the outside pics look a lot better :)
[/b]

I think it looks fantastic :thumbsup and yes the new pics only add to your work's "WOW" factor. Nice job.

<div class='quotetop'>(lambotour @ Jun 6 2006, 05:34 AM) [snapback]1257055[/snapback]</div>
I think it looks fantastic :thumbsup and yes the new pics only add to your work's "WOW" factor. Nice job.
[/b]

I agree. Looks great in the daylight too.

Btw rileyreplicas, what did you use for hair?

The Wook

I have a buddy who tried making a Chewie suit to go with a rather nice looking mask he had. Ofcourse this was not even in the same ballpark as your Chewie, he ended up looking stupid. He kept screwing with it for a long time,and it just got worst. Yours looks like the real mccoy. The hair is perfect. The daylight pictures really accent the shadowing of the brow. Awesome work.

Kell

damn :confused

i knew you said he was big, but damn that sucker is BIG.

very very cool work. i cant believe you finished him this fast. its only been a few weeks since i have been pestering you about my own project ideas :lol

damn... you never really think much about chewie or replicating chewie (or i didnt) until i thought "holy crap, thats like 7+ feet of hair you have to do.. and chewie didnt wear pants." :lol

terrific job man. im gonna have to suck it up and buy some of that magisculpt stuff you keep mentioning.

i know the greek mythology stuff was your own take on it (still love the ***** on steriods man, its my fav piece), but seeing you replicate something as well known as actually "pictured" as chewie (i.e. an actual replication of a costume or prop that is set it stone) and have it pulled off so well.... you got mad skillz dude.

cant wait to see that jabba to go with it ;)
chris

Thanks again guys for the kind words. The outside pics really add to the figure :) I just could not get a light source that was higher than Chewie in my house. lol

Chris, you are right. Making a figure as well known as Chewie was a big gamble but I think he came off well enough :)

Wook, I called National Fiber Technolgies and bought the fur. I ended up with a light grey because it was on clearance and just lightly sprayed it brown, orange and black. I bought 35 square feet of it and that was enough for the whole figure. If you custom order the fur it will be $39 dollars a foot, if you buy it on clearance it will be anywhere from $5 to $10 dollars a foot. A HUGE savings.

<div class='quotetop'>(rileyreplicas @ Jun 6 2006, 10:29 AM) [snapback]1257100[/snapback]</div>
Wook, I called National Fiber Technolgies and bought the fur. I ended up with a light grey because it was on clearance and just lightly sprayed it brown, orange and black. I bought 35 square feet of it and that was enough for the whole figure. If you custom order the fur it will be $39 dollars a foot, if you buy it on clearance it will be anywhere from $5 to $10 dollars a foot. A HUGE savings.
[/b]

That is a huge savings. :thumbsup Inexpensive and looks terrific--can't beat that combo. Great job.

The Wook

Great job as always Richard :eek . You really nailed the ROTJ Chewie look. You should keep him indoors though, don't want him catching fleas :D . Bill

Goldenrod, unfortunately I did not take any progress pics :( Basically I used long fur and attached it to the mannequin body that I modified. I added height only, I was going to bulk him up but it made him look to large. I really need to start taking progress pics of my work. lol

i am guilty of the same thing,not takin pics of my progress on projects.
But hey its what the end product looks like right:)
So when you gonna do a full size Rancor??? LOL. If anyone can do it ,it be you.
-Goldenrod

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back