Life size r2d2 opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by mwells, Sep 12, 2015.

1. mwells

mwells Well-Known Member

I have had a couple life size r2s over the years. But after having a child, moving and getting a divorce I don't have tons of cash to sink into one. What is your opinion of the animated gentle giants r2d2 since it seems to be cheaper? I am also looking on a good place to get one depending on everyone's thoughts.

2. Halliwax

Halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What is a gentle giants R2? I'm currently building a all aluminum r2 ( 1 yr in next month) and never heard of this version?

3. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Well-Known Member

There really is no cheating if you want a 1:1 scale accurate R2. They are never cheap. I built my styrene R2 mostly scratch built and it still cost $500. The dome is usually the killer.

As for the animated gentle giant R2, Google says it's a small ugly looking R2??....maybe you're talking about something else.

4. Halliwax

ooohhh so its the vintage toy r2. i didnt know that they refer to it as "gentle giant" i always thought they called it the kenner R2

5. vtswordfish

vtswordfish Sr Member

I would assume maybe he means the clone wars one that they did, it's a life size 'statue' version.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GE80067

I've seen a couple of these in person and have not been impressed in the least, like rogue said there really is no way to cheat a 1:1 R2 if you want it done right. I know EFX revealed a full size R2 at celebration this year, but honestly for what it'll probably cost, you'd be better to just build one.

6. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

As far as i know they "revealed"nothing.

They showed a borrowed R2, build and owned by a member of the astromech builders club. I would bet they have nothing to show thats made by their own, just a bucket of hot air.

7. Halliwax

...bingo

8. vtswordfish

vtswordfish Sr Member

Ahh okay, last time I'd seen the thread on astromech was back when they first showed it. I saw the video and thought, wow that's pretty nice for efx. Makes sense now that it was a builders droid ha

9. mwells

mwells Well-Known Member

Yes I am referring to the life size animated clone wars r2

10. Halliwax

I havent seen seen a clone wars r2 yet

11. lunar lord

lunar lord New Member