Life Size Jack Skellington WIP

Honestly, clothing was eyeballed and hot glued. The head was attached using a threaded pvc adapter.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Oh ok. Makes sense about the clothing. So I am guessing you just cut the hole in the bottom of the head and put the threaded pvc adapter in there? Did you need to hot glue it in or did it just fit?

We cut the hole slightly smaller than the threading and it turned out to be a tight fit. The weight of the head will keep it on. Just make sure it is seated firmly.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

So how did you manage the shoes? It looks like just mesh wire that has been plastered? I'm working on this part now and getting the shape is a bear!

Test fit of the head and tie, still need to paint the mouth

310689_10100449772658831_5000393_53840737_1416134955_n.jpg

Wicked Cool! My wife would let me do this....but the chain saw on the table LOL! NOT! :confused

So how did you manage the shoes? It looks like just mesh wire that has been plastered? I'm working on this part now and getting the shape is a bear!

We worked the shape using chicken wire, once we got what we wanted, we covered it in plaster tape then painted it. They are hollow and slide right over the foot post to cover it up.

Awesome work!!! I am in the middle of making mine (Xmas Version)...and been stuck for a couple of days figuring out a good method for the hands...and then I stumbled upon your thread!! let me tell you that you have just made my day!

Could you give exact instructions on the hands please? I just wanted to see how you keep the wiring in place so it doesn't come out after plastered. Thanks for your help:)

Well here he is in Christmas mode

IMG_5484.jpg

And now for the hands. The fingers were made from the wooden craft balls and pvc sections that I cut up. I ran 2 lengths of wire down each finger, bending them at the top of the finger to keep them in place. Then covered the finger tips with steel putty. If you look carefully, you can see the bend ends of the wire on the tips of the fingers.

IMAG0234.jpg

I constructed the hand from chicken wire, just bent it into the shape I wanted and soldered it in a few places to hold it. The wrist is one of the pvc caps i listed. I drilled a hole in the center of the cap and ran all of the wires through. I bent the wires to tighten up the fingers and secured with steel putty.

IMG_5485.jpg

This is what they looked like when they were hardening.

IMAG0253.jpg

We left the wires the length they were as it adds some rigidity to the fingers, they simply slide inside the pvc arm. Hopefully this helps.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your construction of your Jack. I made one that I plan to use from Halloween to Christmas. Now planning to make Sally and Zero for next year!

Been here for a while watching everyone else make amazing props, so I decided to start posting some of my builds.

This build kind of kills two birds with one stone. My fiance wanted to have a life size Jack for display during Halloween. And our son's 5th birthday is in October, Nightmare Before Christmas themed of course. So we set out to build a budget minded Jack replica.

We found a guy who built one out of PVC online, but of course could not find any measurements, only a basic materials list. So I uploaded a photo to Sketchup and scaled it to be about 6'3", then took all the measurements down for the various body parts. We decided 1.5" PVC would be the best option for the body since it was inexpensive and durable. The fiance is sculpting Jack's head from a craft store pumpkin and air dry clay, the whole head will be covered in plaster cloth, sanded down and painted.

Materials we used:

Torso, Arms, Legs
- 1.5" PVC - 16ft will be enough for the body

- 4-way 1.5" PVC - 1

- 3-way 1.5" PVC - 1

- 45 deg. 1.5" PVC - 6, we got extra to change the poses

- 90 deg. 1.5" PVC - 6, we got extra to change the poses

- 1.25" threaded flange - 2 for the feet

- 1.5" non threaded to 1.25" threaded PVC adapter - 2 for the feet (you can use the 1.5" flanges, but they are almost $8 more for the pair)

- MDF Basboard - We picked it up in the scrap section at Home Depot for $0.50

- Lag bolts - 8, to screw the flanges to the baseboard

Fingers, Hands

- .5" PVC - 8ft should be enough for the fingers

- Wooden craft balls 5/8" - 1 bag of 16 should be the perfect amount, you will need 4 per finger

- 16 gauge guy wire - I picked up a 50ft roll, you wont need that much

- 1.5" PVC end caps -

Hey buddy I have a question I was wondering if you could do me a huge favor I'm currently building Jack right now I am up to the body part and then I'll be finished I love the height and proportion of your jack I appreciate that you gave us the list of measurements and PVC needed but is there anyway you can please break down the size of each PVC so I can put it together. Like how big should I make the arms the Torso everything please thank you

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back