goodjared

Starting to paint a couple of the leg pieces for my Buzz Lightyear Build. I’m using eva foam, sealing it with glue, then brushing a few coats of roto cast resin for that plastic toy feel. It’s my first time using any of these materials so this whole build is a learning experience.
42C09DD6-08EB-4C46-A5F5-7AA7FAE07C36.jpeg

Hi
Looks great to me. I do use EVA foam once in a while, very interesting technique you are using.
What kind of glue are you using?, is the resin smooth cast 65d?.
Does it feel wearable and strong?.
I have used 65d resin on different materials and have fancied more than once in using it over EVA foam, but never got to try.
Thanks for posting this.

Hi
Looks great to me. I do use EVA foam once in a while, very interesting technique you are using.
What kind of glue are you using?, is the resin smooth cast 65d?.
Does it feel wearable and strong?.
I have used 65d resin on different materials and have fancied more than once in using it over EVA foam, but never got to try.
Thanks for posting this.
Thank you. I’m using wood glue to seal it then brushing on SRC Fabri-cast 50. I was going to to use smooth cast 65d but the SRC product was easier to order, lower cost, and does exactly what I needed.
It feels very strong and wearable plus easily sandable and easy to paint.

Here is a link to the YouTube video where I got the idea.

As for the EVA foam. the shapes look great too. Thermomolded or smilar?
Thanks again. This is my first time ever working with eva. I’m just cutting out my patterns, then hitting the piece with a heat gun and shaping by hand, then gluing the seams together.

Thanks for the info and the video. It´s a very interesting way of making light weight durable parts for costumes indeed.
I know that nice shapes can be achieved with EVA foam by heat vacuum forming. I´m yet to try that.
These are some giant roses we made with EVA foam. Using heat to shape the petal tips. I really like what you got there. Looking forward to see how the project moves on.
Thanks!

1619604069556.png

Starting to paint a couple of the leg pieces for my Buzz Lightyear Build. I’m using eva foam, sealing it with glue, then brushing a few coats of roto cast resin for that plastic toy feel. It’s my first time using any of these materials so this whole build is a learning experience.

Goodjared -Those look fantastic! I really impressed with the shapes you gotten out of EVA foam! I tried making Minecraft armor for my son with EVA foam and couldn't even get block shapes to look good.

Coating on rotocast resin is a great idea! Thanks for sharing the video. I'm looking forward to seeing your Buzz Lightyear progress!

These are some giant roses we made with EVA foam. Using heat to shape the petal tips. I really like what you got there. Looking forward to see how the project moves on.

Udog -those roses look amazing!

I’m making the soles of Buzz’s shoes out of MDF for the weight and so they can be as flat and level as possible since the soles will be the base of the sculpt. My question is how to get the V cuts. I don’t have the tools to do them myself and I don’t know anyone that can help me. Does anyone have any suggestions or can maybe point me to someone that I can pay to make me some new ones either by hand or someone with a CNC? I’m located in California.

I’m making the soles of Buzz’s shoes out of MDF for the weight and so they can be as flat and level as possible since the soles will be the base of the sculpt. My question is how to get the V cuts. I don’t have the tools to do them myself and I don’t know anyone that can help me. Does anyone have any suggestions or can maybe point me to someone that I can pay to make me some new ones either by hand or someone with a CNC? I’m located in California.

The most easy way is to just cut the seperate sole segments, chamfer the edges and glue it on another foot panel.

If you draw out the foot but leave the peice square (temporarily) you can route a series of v-grooves in the square piece using one of the strait edges of the mdf. THEN you can cut out the footprint shape. That being said what XENO suggested will work and not require a router and the right bit. There will be more sanding XENO's way. You'll never cut all the sole segments perfect, so you'll line them up best you can and the have to sand the outline till they are flush with the base foot panel. Either will work, it's a matter of what tools you have,,, and personal preference.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back