Life Size 1:1 REAL METAL Machined General Greivous

Hard to believe this wheel Spinner is still going.

EDIT:
I had a long drawn out spill here but decided not to waste anymore energy on this one.

Some of you guys have no idea at all what you're talking about. Gabe is the only person to even suggest the real world costs involved. I love the legal contract suggestion, too. My previous posts stand.

As mentioned before...Adult Swim.

This kinda **** rubs me wrong.

Originally posted by zorg@Feb 18 2006, 03:19 AM
what about a full size chuck norris?

you will need to use something harder than steel though............. :love
[snapback]1187456[/snapback]​

dude im in, whatever it takes, second job, selling a kidney whatever, as long as it has roundhouse kick capablities :thumbsup

Nobody has given up yet.

I made a contact with one of the companies that make those huge displays for the Toy Fair and Comic Con etc.

We had a brief talk and they told me that it's doable, however they suggested that we craft it outside of styrofoam by using 3-D scanner and CNC cutter, than mold it out of it and so.

Here is what they can do..They scan a basic action figure and come up with this..

muscleman.jpg

They told me to send them a referance sculpture, so I'm waiting for that. Once my Sideshow statue turns in, there will be a lot of referance to go around with. Guess it will ship out late spring.

Originally posted by jason1976@Feb 18 2006, 10:43 PM

The problem around here, isn't the dreamers, it's the nay sayers. 

[snapback]1188046[/snapback]​

Always will have some naysayers. They are the ones that make doers more determined. Good brainstorming all around. I see some wise commentary coming from Gabe, Ph, Rylo.... These guys have participted in a number of successful projects. Questions they ask, comments they make and scenarios they propose need to be weighed carefully. Their foresight can avoid some agonizing hindsight.

I know I'm jumping in on this late, but I've been away from the forum for a while. All I've got to say is, "Be sure you know what you're getting yourself into."

I'm a long time member of the R2 Builders, and one of the few (compared to how many are building one) who has "completed" an Astromech droid. It's been a long and complicated process. And a definate learning experience for me. And the one thing I've come away with is: Anything is possible, just be prepared to work your rear-end off to achieve it. Trust me on that, more than once I've said, "I can do that." And guess what, somebody took me up on it. (Jar Jar in Carbonite for example, Boy did I call myself some interesting names during the building of that. :lol ) Also, any project will cost more than you expect.

And finally, My years with the R2 Builders has shown that it's almost impossible to come up with a "100% accurate" set of plans for the parts. There have been too many arguements over some plan or part being "not accurate enough". And from what I've seen here on the RPF, that's not all that uncommon a topic.

OK, now that I've voiced my "warnings" about this project. Let me just say that I think it's quite an undertaking and I'll be watching your progress with interest. After all, I've thought about making myself a Grevious. Now if I only had some place to put him... :D

Richard

Please ask permission before posting a picture of me eh? I was having a bad day. No creamer in the coffee.

muscleman.jpg

Now as to the naysayers....

Rylo. Go away. Go home, or do whatever ya gotta do to make yourself regular.
Stop and think for a second why this thread is a good thing.....

....its called the Replica Prop Forum Discussion Board.

[enter orchestra: french horns]

Through discussions and reasonable input people have this remarkable way of finding ways around problems.

Perhaps, in the end, some comprimise will be made. Perhaps he wont be all metal. Maybe he'll be plated resin or a hybrid of materials.

So whats it to anyone who wants to stamp on creative thinking.

[enter now, full string section]

Add constructive criticism, but dont berate these guys for having a damn dream.

Not all dreams or goals come to fruition exactly as planned....but more importantly, NO dreams come to fruition if they aint dreamed.

[enter full orchestra and angelic vocals--Gates of Heaven opening--.....

cresendo.................

...........aaaaaaaannnnd SUDDENLY SILENCE]

Damn, I could make a living speaking at graduations.

So if we can get back on track here.

Guys, seriously this is gonna be hard.

ARE YOU MEN ENOUGH.?.?

Damn, I could make a living speaking at graduations.
...if you only had a truck... :lol

Dude, I'll say this much about you: YOU HAVE FLAIR.

So how about telling these younglings how much it would cost YOU, for instance, just to design, prototype, and mass produce a steel or aluminum armature for the light-as-a-feather plated resin body parts?

This project was never UN-doable, only logistically impractical and realistically unfinancable for a loosely-knit, informally associated, non-commital, decentralized bunch of hobbyists. I don't think a SINGLE poster has so far said they have $6,000 IN CASH to contribute UPFRONT to the war chest... :rolleyes

This "dream" will require a project manager, a business plan, a comptroller/accountant, a purchaser, a marketer, a slew of designers and vendors, a permanent physical geographical and virtual base of operations, and most importantly, an attorney to negotiate an exclusive supplier contract with Lucasfilm, since I doubt that Rubies, which has the LFL license for life size statues, will sit quietly by while a bunch of fan boys make 2 dozen or more 1:1 scale Grievouses... Or is it Grievousii?

So does anyone here have the will, the balls, and most importantly, the cashola to underwrite and/or manage this project?

Until someone who meets that criteria steps up to devote the next 2 years or more of their lives full time to this project, this will remain the RPF's most noteworthy vapor prop thread ever.

Guys - seriously: just hope you can afford the $450 plus shipping for the 1:4 scale Sideshow Grievous when it's eventually released. ;)

- Gabe

Originally posted by Kris@Dec 30 2005, 09:21 PM
Well .. A Star Destroyer would be about .. eum.. 11 km long.
[snapback]1147196[/snapback]​

MOTHER IN HEAVEN................

and in i think ESB, i think vader's star destoryer "docked" (?) into the other FRIGGIN HUGE one, with like a city on top of it.

maybe a 1/100000000000000 scale would be fine :lol

ya, a grevous costume would be sick but...it wouldnt look good.

maybe, a more feesable costume, STORMTROOPER. i will make millions. HA HA.

Originally posted by Kris@Dec 30 2005, 09:21 PM
Well .. A Star Destroyer would be about .. eum.. 11 km long.
[snapback]1147196[/snapback]​

MOTHER IN HEAVEN................

and in i think ESB, i think vader's star destoryer "docked" (?) into the other FRIGGIN HUGE one, with like a city on top of it.

maybe a 1/100000000000000 scale would be fine :lol

ya, a grevous costume would be sick but...it wouldnt look good.

maybe, a more feesable costume, STORMTROOPER. i will make millions. HA HA.

(wow, that was dumb. i got to work on, being funny)

People spend craploads of moolah on R2s (and not even the cool R2.), so why wouldn't people want to do the same on a cooler droid? I know I would.

This place... Sometimes...

Originally posted by ortiz34@Dec 11 2005, 04:10 AM
Not to be a killjoy but:

maybe for starters, stick with just the head.
Figure out just what the head would cost, time and effortwise, and try to get just that part done.

Id buy one...and if that went smooth, the rest could be considered.

I llike to eat but i dont order a whole cake at the diner.

One piece at a time.
[snapback]1133356[/snapback]​
I am in agreement with ortiz34
I think we should start with the head and get that done and see how it comes out and then start with the next parts .
Mark

People does any one know where Durasteel Corp. has gone?
Trying to contact him regarding the project, however no replies.

This log thread inpired me and I decided to start my own life size Grievous project.
It will be scratchbuilt and fiberglass.
I will start from the head.
In a couple of weeks time I will post the first pics.

If you are still interested in a metal one, I can ask for prices here in Argentina that would be cheaper.
Regards.

Southreplicas

Goooo Newbie Hijacker.... Wooo.
Back on topic; any news on perspective progress? Casting parts from a foam 3d scan seems to make this more possible than a crap-load of machined parts. Neat idea, I'd love to see this come to fruition.

<div class='quotetop'>(Seth B @ Jun 20 2006, 05:56 PM) [snapback]1264652[/snapback]</div>
Goooo Newbie Hijacker.... Wooo.
Back on topic; any news on perspective progress? Casting parts from a foam 3d scan seems to make this more possible than a crap-load of machined parts. Neat idea, I'd love to see this come to fruition.
[/b]

I think to sculpt the parts. It wont be as accurate as if it were scaned but I'll do my best ;)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back