Life of a CC X-Wing *UPDATE* FEB 5th SATURDAY NEW PICS!!!

I have zero skillz in building a model of any sort. I did enjoy the website as it is so far tho'! I think that a tutorial of this caliber is highly needed and will be a benefit for anyone working with resin for any project. I look forward to following your process...

This an an awesome idea - if you've got to go an dupdate the web pages ...take pics tures before and after, write the text wedit everything test it all and them post it it MIGHT be enough time for the next step
icon_wink.gif

Seriously thoough it is a realy clever ide and I hope you keep it up!

Jedi Dade

Nice job! I know how much work it is to document the construction like this.

Can you tell us more about the circuit you used to get the flickering engine effects? It looks outstanding!

Thanks!

The basic design is a 555 Timer IC, that uses a 1.0uF microfarad capacitor. The two resistor values for the IC are at 68K and 15K ohms. Then the LED's themselves are fronted by 220 ohm resistors running in parallel. It has been running for about four days straight and is still going strong. It is powered at present by a 9V power supply, but also runs just as well on a 9v battery although the battery only lasts a few hours. I am making a diagram of the circuit and I will post it on my site when I get it complete.

JDH

Look on page 2 for the links. They are in the December 14 update just above the first picture. They are listed as movie 1 and movie 2. Hope this helps

Very cool pics. I can't wait to watch how this thing turns out.

Edit: 2/23
Nice to see the wings coming along. 'Sucks the mounting bracket broke on you, but very nicely repaired.
icon_smile.gif

Edit: 2/27
R2 looks great! Great detailing work.
icon_smile.gif

Edit: 3/14
The new site layout looks very nice. Just some constructive criticism...the beginning of one of your paragraph's is missing the "N" in "Now". Also, some of your thumbnails look a little distorted.

The model itself is coming along very nicely. It's cool to see everything primed, and the wings completed. 'Can't wait to get started on mine.
icon_smile.gif

Edit: 9/6
Very cool to see the wings ready to go. My kit is still sitting in the box until I finish up some other projects, but your updates are an inspiration to move my butt.
icon_smile.gif
Keep it up!

Edit: 11/21
Glad to see you have Jim's kit. I picked it up for my CC X-Wing too. Seeing someone install it firsthand is priceless. The fuselage is coming along nicely too.
icon_smile.gif

Edit: 1/22
Your kit is really coming along nicely. I love the salt trick you used on the wing. I never though about doing that before. I will have to remember that for when I tackle mine.
icon_smile.gif
May I ask how you achieved the barber-pole stripe on the cannons? That is one thing I'm not sure how I'm going to pull off.

Edit: 2/2
The paint job is coming along very nicely. Again, I like the subtle weathering you're using on the red marks. It really adds a nice touch. And yet again, I can't thank you enough for documenting all this. As someone who's new to studio-scale building, watching you build, paint, and finish your kit is a great resource. Thanks so much for sharing with all us noobs.
icon_smile.gif

Sean

I am kinda at a stalemate. I am waiting on some supplies I ordred. LEDs, paint, etc.... I am ready to start assembly but cannot get going until my stuff comes in. Lighting a model is not cheap LOL I should have something by next week to update. It is coming together nicely though.

JDH

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Edit: 2/23
Nice to see the wings coming along. 'Sucks the mounting bracket broke on you, but very nicely repaired. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Thanks, don't even know my own strength.
icon_lol.gif
Hopefully I can avoid any more accidents like that. Good thing is that when it happens, it really is rather easy to repair.

JDH

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Edit: 3/14
The new site layout looks very nice. Just some constructive criticism...the beginning of one of your paragraph's is missing the "N" in "Now". Also, some of your thumbnails look a little distorted. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

I will fix the "N"
icon_wink.gif
As for the thumbnails being distorted, they were so small I wasn't concerened with how they came out. Thanks for the critique
icon_razz.gif

JDH

Hey guys -

Is anyone here with a CC X-Wing from the Los Angeles area? I'm doing a CG X-Wing for a fanfilm, and Scott (Captain Cardboard) said I could either drive up to Fresno and check out his master, or try to find someone with a kit who might let me take a few photos.

Thanks!

_Mike

I'm in the LA area (Burbank) but I am about a month or so away from finishing mine.

JDH
Thanks for the update, I like the idea you had with the styrene for the r2 lights, I was just trying to figure out how to do it. I ran all the fiber optic to my cockpit this weekend, I have over 50 strands!

I have one question for you, how do you plan on putting everything into the X-Wing? I have the same hyperdyne kit and I was looking to do that but I donÂ’t see how it would all fit without some major rework.

Can you enlighten me please?

Thanks

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>I have the same hyperdyne kit and I was looking to do that but I donÂ’t see how it would all fit without some major rework. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

I have test fit everything into the back already and it seems to fit fine. I routed out the top of the area behind R2 so I will always have access to the electronics. It will be a little snug in there but it should all fit.

JDH

Looks good. I went the satin black undercoat and the satin white top coat and I'm happy with the look.

Can you explain the "salt weathering" thing to me. I think I know what you are talking about but I just want to make sure I'm going to be doing it right.

Thanks,

Lee

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Can you explain the "salt weathering" thing to me. I think I know what you are talking about but I just want to make sure I'm going to be doing it right</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Basically I took a cup of water dipped my brush in the water and painted the water on where I want the chipped paint to be. I am using the decals off my Fine Molds X-Wing as a guide and just paint the design. From there I take regular table salt and pour it onto the area that I just painted with water.

From there I just blow off the salt and it will stick to the wet areas. I let it dry a few minutes and then just paint straight over it. After the paint dries just rub the salt off and instant paint chips.

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back