Liberty 7 (MR 4) Rescue Attempt Diorama

Cameron

Sr Member
I just finished my first water diorama and first Heli in 20 years. This is the attempted rescue of the Liberty 7 (MR 4) by a US Navy Sikorsky H-34 on July 21st 1961. Im not 100% happy with the water but Ill do better next time.
Thanks for looking!

IMG_8138.jpgIMG_8141.jpgIMG_8147.jpgIMG_8151.JPG

Nice job, Cameron! Nice how you were able to get it all balanced... rather striking. BTW, what scale?

One suggestion re: the base - perhaps add a bit of a deepening blue gradient to the edges of the base (top to bottom) to suggest depth, to go along with the 'dripping' border. I do like the 'downwash' effect, very effective. Too bad no way to blur the rotors; motorizing 'em would probably result in an unbalanced self-destruct effect within a few seconds, mounted as it is... Do watch out for the 'coning' of the main rotor as a bit of tilt (the rotors bend upwards in response to the lift forces and tend to track a bit into the "wind", normally best on the nose when hoving if possible.) Cheers!

Regards, Robert

Hey Robert,

Re Balance: I tested the metal rod placement in the chopper to find the (almost) center point and used some small fishing weights to get it to balance 100%. 1/48 scale. Itareli Chopper and Revel Capsule.

I did consider a small motor but that would have added another year to the build. Im a slow model maker. I love your base suggestion to paint up the sides in a gradient. Super great suggestion!!
Thanks for the kind words and advice.

I really like this diorama. Clever way of suspending the helicopter over the Mercury capsule. Water can be a real pain to do, but I think yours is pretty good. The downwash looks good radiating outwards from the capsule. This is the capsule that ended up sinking, isn't it?

Thanks for the kind words! Sure is the one that sank. And then they found it and recovered it in 1999.

I considered and considered how best to do the water. I tried to read and see everything I could find. There are some amazing artists out there that blow me away with their water work. In the end I just went for it and learned a few things in the process. I want to try again and do better. Maybe a seaview busting out of the waves.

Last edited:
awesome diorama. it's a good way to get a heli in flight without an ugly stand!

That could be done with blur motion rotors. it's a clear disk with the rotors painted on in a blur effect.
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/jagewa/Models/Tips/PropBlur/img_2505-1.jpg
eg
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/jagewa/Models/2010/Mosquito/IMG_0164.jpg

tutorial if you want to see how it's created
http://gregers.fr.yuku.com/topic/11537/Prop-blur-tutorial-Picture-heavy#.VLHt83uvT7A

I figured that technique wouldn't work with something as large as a main rotor (tail rotor more likely..) I was wondering about the effect possible using essentially "clear" molded rotor blades (perhaps widened a bit to imply motion) then misted with some color. The trick is avoiding the 'glint' of smooth clear plastic.
R/ Robert

That is a beautiful job Cameron!
Love everything about it , just maybe the sides of the base needs some finishing as the top is too good just to paint blue .
Maybe 4 perpex cut blurred pieces for the propellor
Perpex 2mm will hold its shape and you would only need to cut it as wide as the blur of each blade .
Mars

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back