My main issue with the Sequels in not the story (although I strongly believe it would have been better if a loose arc was constructed first). My main issue is that the hero characters of the original trilogy go on an have miserable lives. This does not make it a bad story, it simply makes me feel bad. Now if I had never seen the episodes 1-6, then I would not have had that emotional connection with the characters. It's sort of a different situation when you talk about the prequels. If the prequels had come out before, the original trilogy, I might have had issue with episodes 4-6 because I would feel bad for the lives of the characters of the prequel. The only difference is that the original trilogy wrapped up everything in a nice little happy ending (and an assumption of happily ever after) while the prequels left us with a lot of dark moments and leaves you with the idea that the story still needs to be resolved.

As for the sequels, there is really only one aspect of the story I have not been able to resolve as a fan that I can make any sense from. It is the chase through space. So the FO and the Resistance each has a fleet and apparently all these ships are capable of traveling at the same sub light speed, no faster, no slower. But the distance is just enough to keep the resistance from getting destroyed. Now the resistance cannot get any help but what about the FO. Can't they get someone two join in from the other direction or just take one ship and jump out then back in from somewhere on the other side? It just doesn't make any sense. IF ANYONE HAS a good fan theory why this makes sense, let me know because I would be happy to embrace it.

Other than that, there are some nice moments in the story but overall, the movie just did not excite me. I felt board through most of it waiting for something to happen. Even the speeder scene Crait was a bunch of nothing. They go out there to do battle and then have to turn around. The main purpose of that scene was to advance the the Finn story of him choosing to take up the cause of the Resistance. The Finn story is nice, just not very exciting. It would have been nice if there was some battle element between the speeders and the walkers similar to the The Empire Strikes Back, not just the Falcon coming in to save them.

Last edited:
My main issue with the Sequels in not the story (although I strongly believe it would have been better if a loose arc was constructed first). My main issue is that the hero characters of the original trilogy go on an have miserable lives. This does not make it a bad story, it simply makes me feel bad. Now if I had never seen the episodes 1-6, then I would not have had that emotional connection with the characters. It's sort of a different situation when you talk about the prequels. If the prequels had come out before, the original trilogy, I might have had issue with episodes 4-6 because I would feel bad for the lives of the characters of the prequel. The only difference is that the original trilogy wrapped up everything in a nice little happy ending (and an assumption of happily e ver after) while the prequels left us with a lot of dark moments and leaves you with the idea that the story still needs to be resolved.

As for the sequels, there is really only one aspect of the story I have not been able to resolve as a fan that I can make any sense from. It is the chase through space. So the FO and the Resistance each has a fleet and apparently all these ships are capable of traveling at the same sub light speed, no faster, no slower. But the distance is just enough to keep the resistance from getting destroyed. Now the resistance cannot get any help but what about the FO. Can't they get someone two join in from the other direction or just take one ship and jump out then back in from somewhere on the other side? It just doesn't make any sense. IF ANYONE HAS a good fan theory why this makes sense, let me know because I would be happy to embrace it.

Other than that, there are some nice moments in the story but overall, the movie just did not excite me. I felt board through most of it waiting for something to happen. Even the speeder scene Crait was a bunch of nothing. They go out there to do battle and then have to turn around. The main purpose of that scene was to advance the the Finn story of him choosing to take up the cause of the Resistance. The Finn story is nice, just not very exciting. It would have been nice if there was some battle element between the speeders and the walkers similar to the The Empire Strikes Back, not just the Falcon coming in to save them.
So to address your second comment.

This is how I see it. Hux's sadistic ego come into play. He knows the Resistance can't jump to hyperspace. But rather then just destroy them outright, he enjoys watching as each Resistance ship runs out of fuel, falls behind and gets destroyed. He would rather make the death of the Resistance a slow and painful one.

Mara Jade's Father

my big issue with where the OT characters are is that we don’t see what brought them there. I like the ideas in theory, but it’s so handwaved away in TFA that it’s hard not to feel cynical about it

But that is typical Star Wars. Anh jumped right into the action. They relied on the scroll to give you just enough background. Every trilogy did that as well with every saga movie with the exception of the time between 7 and 8.
Plus let’s be realistic, None of them can pass for 1 to 20 years after Return of the Jedi. They need to jump ahead. The only thing they could do is use cgi to de-age them. Can you imagine this thread if that happened? Look at what people bitch about now. You are just going to have to rely on comics and novels for now to fill in the gaps.

Oh I totally understand why they couldn’t show it, I’m just much more interested in it as a story. I think if they hadn’t be SO SCARED of touching the political details for fear of being compared with the Prequels then it would have softened it a little bit. We don’t know why the FO is seemingly so well supplied and the New Republic is hardly mentioned in favor of The Resistance, who last one movie before they’re just “The Rebellion” again. I’m really not losing sleep over all this, I just don’t find any enjoyment in that trilogy. I do need to stop bitching about it though

Oh I totally understand why they couldn’t show it, I’m just much more interested in it as a story. I think if they hadn’t be SO SCARED of touching the political details for fear of being compared with the Prequels then it would have softened it a little bit. We don’t know why the FO is seemingly so well supplied and the New Republic is hardly mentioned in favor of The Resistance, who last one movie before they’re just “The Rebellion” again. I’m really not losing sleep over all this, I just don’t find any enjoyment in that trilogy. I do need to stop bitching about it though

The real crime is that it took so long to get these trilogies. 1985 to 1999 and 2005 to 2015. that’s a lot of wasted time. I was so happy when I heard Disney was buying LFL because they actually wanted to make Star Wars movies.

I was definitely hyped by the Disney acquisition, I can remember the joy of seeing the cast pre-TFA in that table read photo op. Hopefully they can filter out the rabidly faithful and the bitterly hateful to find a space in between for their stories to go in the future. For better or worse George was a visionary with a strong guiding presence, if Disney can tap into that (which they seem to have with Favreau and Filoni to some extent) they can find not only financial but critical success.

The number one thing they can do in my opinion is stop writing all their characters like they’ve seen the movies that came before, the self referential nature of the writing is what gives so much of the new stuff a fan film vibe.

Colonel Kurtzwalker, eh?

DFCC482B-5AA3-4136-99AC-7C4FEA2A8764.jpeg

Any idea when they'll actually make one?
Ha... because Disney is a failed movie company and... oh wait, they are not and you’re just making a lazy insult. Clever.....not.

If you have a problem with the material, then your issue is with LFL, not Disney.

Everything with two exceptions since the acquisition are products I really enjoyed. As I said earlier, Rogue One is my second favorite Star Wars movie. My exceptions are TLJ and Resistance animated series. And I would rate them as good/ok.

Sorry I don’t hate companies just because they are super successful.

But that is typical Star Wars. Anh jumped right into the action. They relied on the scroll to give you just enough background. Every trilogy did that as well with every saga movie with the exception of the time between 7 and 8.
Plus let’s be realistic, None of them can pass for 1 to 20 years after Return of the Jedi. They need to jump ahead. The only thing they could do is use cgi to de-age them. Can you imagine this thread if that happened? Look at what people bitch about now. You are just going to have to rely on comics and novels for now to fill in the gaps.

No one cares about the jump, or even really missing what they did in those 30 years. The problem is going from 30 years of happy ending to '...and they ended up miserable across the board..' with said hand wave.

I mean, no one is going to make Wizard of OZ part II today and have Dorothy turned into a prostitute because everyone thought she was nuts and was tossed out by her family in the first 5 minutes without pissing off everyone going to see the flick.

I mean, all main characters happy endings were destroyed, what they accomplished turned to not have happened since Palps can reconstitute himself millions of miles away. Luke gave up on the jedi....so, uh, what exactly wasn't undone by the ST? Why should we be happy about it?

I'm not saying you have to use it either. They could VERY easily just left it alone. It's a big galaxy/universe and as the say the Jedi Knights were the protectors of the galaxy for 1000s of years (or was it generations?). Either way - PLENTY of room to play with without destroying what came before. But no, we wanted to use the OT cast to sell tickets - i get that. But then you - BY DESIGN - write it to not only kill them all off, but never put them onscreen together again? Wasted opportunity. It smacks of bait and switch. "We know you want to see Han, Luke, and Leia again, but just wait til we have your money and see what you get!".

In the end, you shouldn't be setting your future up by, in essence, destroying what got you there. You wind up eroding the good will that made the whole thing possible in the first place and you're not likely to ever get it back. It was ENTIRELY possible to suck up to new fans AND note screw over the prior ones in the process. The opted to blow off a good chunk the existing fan base.

No one is hating Disney for being successful. The issue has always been the quality (or lack thereof) with the writing. That falls on Kathleen Kennedy because she runs Lucasfilm and has final say over the production.

Disney itself seems to be more concerned with the acquisition of companies these days more than generating their own original content but that's a different issue I suppose.

I didn't read it either so I couldn't say for sure. Besides I have no interest in his opinion on the matter because he's not a writer or director. Same goes for Kennedy.

Yeah my problem with the Sequels was the story. It was just a bunch of patched together crap. Also like MJF said, it just treats the OT characters badly. It also, to me, looked like a blatant attempt to reset everything back to parallel the OT. A character from a sandy planet, a superweapon, the good guys back to acting like the Rebellion, a Jedi Master on a desolate planet who is reluctant to teach, etc. If I had to bet, I'd say after the Prequels Disney wanted to play it safe. To now, go "Look some of these were actually George's ideas!", it comes off as trying to do damage control.

However, it could have been fixed if they had writers who knew SW. Heck you could have gotten a handful of the EU writers and any one of them could have come up with a better story. My main problem with the whole thing was Luke. I think if they would have done something like the rumors where Luke was afraid of his powers and went into isolation, that would have made a heck of a lot more sense. Also I would have liked to have seen a handful of fully trained Jedi to show that Luke followed Obi-Wan and Yoda and rebuilt the Jedi in some form. Maybe Luke did something that got them killed, leading him to go into isolation and rethink how he was teaching. That would have worked even as a flashback. At least then Luke would have made some attempt to fulfill his destiny. In the movies, it just looks like he's suddenly a jerk who wasted 40 years.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back