Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

BTTUK

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I had to edit my original post. But he's says fairy tale not fantasy. My bad.

A prince, princess, a castle, it is a fairy tale trope. And Star Wars is a modern fair tale, with side of operatic tragedy.

JJ concepts are at some points surface level, but other places, especially with TROS deeper. (though that may be from Terrio) The one concept that particularly love, is the relationship between Rey and Ben. As I've mentioned before they have this Yin Yang relationship. They are like living embodiments of the Force. When we look at the symbolism that represents the Force, we see the symbol for the dark and light sides, contain the other within each other. They are intertwined. And we find in TROS, like the Force itself, they are a dyad. Two that are one.

This concept of two that are one is inversion to a concept of duality that's found throughout Star Wars, particularly in TPM. And I love that at the end of TROS, they literally become two that are one. It's interesting thematic twist/inversion to the beginning of the saga.
That may be so, but it was badly executed in my opinion.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

HeartBlade

Sr Member
Yeah, only those two use that stabby move. Everyone else slashes.
By that logic, Cal Kestis is also a Palpatine since one of his moves is a stab. Maul also stabs given that is how he killed Oui Gon as well as Grievous. Actually as does Ben in TLJ (stabs one of the guards in the throne room and Luke).

You could argue that stabbing is a dark side affiliated move since stabbing is intended to kill/inflict damage while Jedi slash because they want to block/defend but its probably more of a choreography thing.

One thing good about the ST (until RoS) was they began removing the turning my back to my enemy swinging moves which were prevalent in PT. Looking back at OT, I did notice old Ben do it against Vader despite his age so assumed maybe it was just how the jedi trained. Luke stopped the bad practice by not learning it from Yoda (his final fight against Vader is clean always facing his opponent), and Rey and Ben didnt do many show my back swings.

Bigdaddy

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I assumed that comment was in jest but I'm pretty sure the fight "moves" used in various films are simply based on real world choreography rather than in universe hidden meanings. The idea that stabbing is some how "bad" and slashing is "good" seems like quite a stretch. These are highly impractical weapons that are really in the films to look cool, in the real world they would be as dangerous to the wielder as to the opponent. The choreography in the PT as well as the ST was all about visuals for the audience rather than practical dueling. Thankfully the technical limitations in the OT didn't allow for distracting us with flashing colored sticks every few minutes so there had to be more creative story elements to keep the audience intrigued. Old fashioned ideas like writing, acting, pacing, editing.. ;)

HeartBlade

Sr Member
I assumed that comment was in jest but I'm pretty sure the fight "moves" used in various films are simply based on real world choreography rather than in universe hidden meanings. The idea that stabbing is some how "bad" and slashing is "good" seems like quite a stretch. These are highly impractical weapons that are really in the films to look cool, in the real world they would be as dangerous to the wielder as to the opponent. The choreography in the PT as well as the ST was all about visuals for the audience rather than practical dueling. Thankfully the technical limitations in the OT didn't allow for distracting us with flashing colored sticks every few minutes so there had to be more creative story elements to keep the audience intrigued. Old fashioned ideas like writing, acting, pacing, editing.. ;)
If you are referring to my comment, maybe best to call it trying to justify an idea I dont agree with.

I agree you cant really call certain moves “bad” or “good” affiliated and the lack of stabs is likely just due to less fancy choreography. Most movies with sword fights have few stabs and more swinging at each others blades.

Ironically, I remember some article stating that if lightsabers were real, the ideal fighting method would be similar to fencing with lots of stabbing on both sides.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.