Let it begin! Completed Accurate Kill Bill Replica!

jblakey

Hi,

I'm very excited about this new project I've just started on. Thanks to a request from none other than Adam Frikin' Savage, I've begun putting together a screen accurate replica of the Bride's sword. I had posted up some pics of my Bride's Sword (BS) a little while ago, and Adam contacted me concerning building a replica for him. I explained that there were three options available:

1. Cheap, not so accurate, barely usable.
2. More expensive, not so accurate, very usable.
3. Very accurate, not usable (for anything other than iaito drawing practice), very expensive.

To my great excitement, Adam picked option #3! I'd finally be able to build a spot-on replica, using special order Japanese iaito parts (just like in the films). I'd also get to put together and start using a home workshop CNC (for the carvings).

So, here's where things stand at this point :

1. I've determined sword dimensions using promo material, screen shots, and some pics of the stunt sword taken for "Profiles in History" Hollywood auction number 37.

2. I've researched all the parts used on the sword, tracked down their vendors, ordered relevant bits and bobs.

3. I've tested out using Gold Mylar tape for the stripes down the sides of the saya. I'm 99% sure this is how the stripes were done in the films. The mylar looks great, sticks great, and look just like in the film.

4. I've begun re-creating the artwork involved with the sword. These are the carvings I'll need a CNC for (not being a carver myself). They are 1) the Lion, 2) the Foo-Dog, and 3) the Tri-foil leaf mon. At this point the lion is ready to go, and I'm currently working on the foo-dog.

Here's a list of supplies I've ordered, and where from:

1. Blade/saya/habaki/sageo
Ordered from Tozando Iaito, Japan. Blade is a 23.5 shaku (28") standard iaito blade, with no bo-hi. Hamon pattern is "Ujishige" (an unlisted option). Saya is kuroro, plain shiny black. Habaki is natural brass.

2. Fuchi/Kashira/KoJiri/Tsuba/Menuki/Seppa
Ordered from Yamato Budogu. Fuchi/Kashira/Kojiri are called "Momoji" or Maple Leaf. Antiqued brass (which I'll patinate). Tsuba is called "Hanzo", Menuki are called "Kogosho". I'll need to gold-leaf the leaf on the fuchi.

3. Mylar Gold Chrome tape, 3/4 inch. From HoopTapeCanada.com.

4. Leather handle wrapping (ito), from Fred Lohman Company. Best on market, 8mm, non-strech.

5. Grade 1 dried and scraped rayskin, and a set of gold-plated kashira ****odome from Namikawa Heibei. Beautiful skin.

6. Krylon gold-leafing pens. eBay.

7. One gold-filled 6mm brass bangle, rounded on outside, flat on inside. eBay.

8. Chunk of copper pipe. Home Depot.

Here are the dimensions I've come up with so far:

- Tsuka, 27.95cm including fittings
- Ito width 8mm
- Saya, 75.6cm
- Habaki, 2.54cm
- Koiguchi Band, 1cm
- Blade Length, 71cm
- Gold Band, 6mm wide

- Distance from Koigouchi to Gold Band, 52.2cm
- Distance from Gold Band to Kojiri, 23.45cm
- Distance from Kurigata to Lion, 19.7cm
- Distance from Koiguchi to Kurigata, 8.2cm
- Distance from Koiguchi Band to Leaf Carving, 1.18cm
- Distance from Habaki to Foo Dog Carving, 6mm
- Dimensions of Leaf Carving, 2.5cm x 2.5 cm
- Dimensions of Foo Dog Carving, 1.9 cm x 3 cm
- Dimensions of Lion Carving, 2.9cm x 9.6cm

Well, I think that's all for now. I'm waiting for the custom ordered parts to come in from Japan, it should give me time to finish up the artwork.

Thanks,
jason

Last edited:
Re: Let it begin! An accurate Kill Bill replica!

Here are some pics, thought I had attached them to the last post...

Thanks,
jason

I'll be following this! :)

What size of kissaki did the Bride's sword have? The usual medium?

Kevin

Yeah it looks like it. Reason I asked is that it was the only thing you didn't mention. However I should have guessed it would have one with a standard blade. :$

Best of success with this! :thumbsup

Kevin

Foo-dog recreation is nearing completion...

comments?

Thanks,
jason

Could always get the blade professionally/traditionally made, and would be both accurate and functional. :)

I used to collect antique Japanese swords, nothing quite like a hand forged blade.

Tim

This is an interesting project!

I got a thing for Samurai swords and all the Hanzo swords in the film are fantastic.

Everything is looking great man, looking forward to completion.

PS: You should do a Bill sword one day, that one is really rare.

Hope this goes well mate!

This was/is a project I really want to tackle too. I even opened and interest run in the JY.

Is this blade a one off for Adam, or will you be able to do more :) ?

Ill let you know if I try one

Weequay

My next one's going be using a nice folded blade that I picked up used - the hamon won't match, but the blade is razor sharp:)

Once I get setup with the CNC, it should be easy enough to replicate the carvings any number of times. I'll have to see how enscribing/carving on hardened steel goes - it won't get the depth of working on aluminum, I'm thinking...

Thanks,
jason

Here's my version of the trefoil leaf carved on the saya. Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks,
jason

the middle part looks off. in the picture above it looks more like 3 long Hexagons

Something like this shape
<===>

:) - pay no attention to that picture, that's my crappy Masahiro replica:)

Here are a few pics from the film. The mon on the screen prop is not exactly symmetrical, and the lines branching off aren't completely parallel...

Thanks,
jason

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2010-03-17-07h23m47s74.png
    vlcsnap-2010-03-17-07h23m47s74.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 583

Good luck with it man.

I actually own a hand forged Bride Sword replica which I got from HandmadeSwords a couple of months ago, really nice quality.

Leaf rework...

A friend of mine pointed out to me that the sides of the three points of the leafs taper, so I went back and took another long look at the leaf. Turns out, it's not uniform at all. It has some symmetry, but it's hand-carved - there are deviations. Working with the screen captures and Gimp, managed to come up with this version. I think it's pretty close to the leaf shown on screen. I could make it perfectly symmetrical (copy, paste, rotate 120), but then it wouldn't be accurate, would it?:)

Am I over-thinking a difference of less than a few mm on a small feature of a larger project? Is this the way to the funny farm?:)

Thanks,
jason

Good luck with it man.

I actually own a hand forged Bride Sword replica which I got from HandmadeSwords a couple of months ago, really nice quality.

That looks like a Masahiro Bride - they are pretty nice for the money, but can benefit from a bit of work. A nice re-wrap of the ito can really make the handle look cleaner.

Thanks,
jason

Got an update from Yamato in Japan, the fittings are on their way. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a set of resin castings of the fuchi/kashira/kojiri/menuki/tsuba. I haven't done casting before, but I've been reading, and it doesn't look too hard. Anyone interested? Anyone have any casting tips for first timers? I'm thinking platinum silicone mold/ polyurethane resin (tapPlastics), given what I've been reading, but it's still early and I haven't ordered anything as yet...

Thanks,
jason

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back