Lesson Learned - A VERY hard way!!!!

Watson

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So in case you don't know I live in Dallas. Over the last few weeks it has been more and more hot everyday. High 90's for the last two weeks.

I have had so many projects lately that I have been running out of room to store things. So while waiting for some replacement parts from Steve Neisen, I set the TIE to the side to work on an X-Wing I am doing a commission on.

I had nowhere to put the wings so I propped them up beside my work bench. They are actually leaning against the legs of my bench.

Since doing this I had completely forgotten about the wings. This weekend I had to put up some trim and crown molding in my house and was pulling some wood out to start cutting and noticed the wings.

"Oh Hell" I thought. I had completely forgotten they were there. I grab them to move them and notice that I had made a COLOSSAL mistake.

Both wings had bowed inwards where they were leaned against the bench. I now have two VERY expensive wings that are completely ruined.

Needless to say I am pretty sickened right now and everything that is resin that I was working on has been moved back inside when I am not working on them. Moral of the story is don't be a dumb ass like me. **SIGH**

I have just not had very good luck with this model and I am really pissed at myself.

JDH

Sorry to hear that. :(

Any chance of repairing them? Hang them upside down and apply some modest heat? Dunno... just grasping for straws here.

Thanks for the reminder though.

Lonnie

Edit - spelling :$

I am not real optimistic but I am going to try to fix them. I have too much money invested in them. The problem is that the wing has no flat edges to use as a guide. I fear that they will never be perfectly straight again.

But as they say I am Going to give it the ole college try.

Will host some pics later today to see if anyone has any ideas :)

Greg

Originally posted by rocketeer25@Jun 28 2005, 10:59 AM
Sorry to hear that.  :(

Any chance or repairing them?  Hang them upside down and apply some modest heat?  Dunno... just grasping for straws here.

Thanks for the reminder thought. 

Lonnie
[snapback]1022420[/snapback]​

Thanks Jesse, memorial services for my T.I.E will be held tomorrow. All donations can be sent to my paypal address :p

Greg

Boiling water will soften resin right up and you can straighten it back by hand. You'll need some way to make sure it's straight...and a REALLY big pot would help. ;)

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here to day to mourn the loss of JDH's common sense. :p I'm kidding. I'm Kidding.

Serously, that does suck.

I'm sure all is not lost....stick 'em in the hot water as prescribed, and lay them down (flat side down) on a flat surface - clamp the ends down. If they aren't l00% perfect at the end of that, the remainder can be tweaked at assembly by making sure you use high strength epoxy to assemble them.

Good luck.

-Raj

Originally posted by Jeeves@Jun 28 2005, 11:09 PM
I'm sure all is not lost....stick 'em in the hot water as prescribed, (use a cheapo foil turkey pan??)  and lay them down (flat side down) on a flat surface - clamp the ends down.  If they aren't l00% perfect at the end of that, the remainder can be tweaked at assembly by making sure you use high strength epoxy to assemble them.

Good luck.

-Raj
[snapback]1022865[/snapback]​

Originally posted by Jeeves@Jun 28 2005, 06:09 PM
I'm sure all is not lost....stick 'em in the hot water as prescribed, and lay them down (flat side down) on a flat surface - clamp the ends down.  If they aren't l00% perfect at the end of that, the remainder can be tweaked at assembly by making sure you use high strength epoxy to assemble them.

Good luck.

-Raj
[snapback]1022865[/snapback]​

What he said.....

"we can rebuild him".....

Since they don't have a flat surface I wonder if you could build a exoskeleton. Get some cheap wood from home depot....build a retangular box that the flat surface on the top and bottom would line up with as well as the right and left edge. Repeat. Wire the two frames together with the wing in the middle...heat wing...flex straight.

(honestly, Id try hanging it first...easier and Im lazy...but a set of "head gear" for your wings might do it too. )

With the super structure of the wings being molded on I am thinking of taking Jesse's idea. Using a piece of MDF I will route out the ares where the wing supports are in order to give me a flat area to deal with. If I can get the solar panels straight they should in turn correct the wing supports and super structure.

JDH

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back