Lenses for P1 Bio Helmet

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
So, I have been looking pretty hard at screen caps and feel very strongly that the P1 lenses are 1) flexible film and not hard lenses, 2) semireflective, but not full-on chrome, and 3) tinted. I know several people use window screen mesh to approximate the mesh in the helmet, so I picked some up at home depot along with some window tint. I did a test fitting tonight and am actually relatively happy with the window tinting (although the eye platforms of my P1 helmet need a lot of work to get them to where I want them... right now they are way too deep), but I am totally unhappy with the window screen. I think the screen is CLOSE to the right size but it is slightly rectangular in shape while the mesh on the P1 bio seems to be perfectly square. Additionally, mine seems very clear that it is a mesh sitting on top of a lens whereas on the P1 Bio, the mesh almost looks like it is ON the lens. I know on the AVP scar bio lens that mesh was laid down, silver was sprayed, and then the mesh was removed, leaving a reverse mesh pattern on the lens. This seems like it could almost be the same thing... as opposed to their actually being a physical mesh layer to the lenses. Any thoughts or help with this would be greatly appreciated.

predator_bio_lenses.jpg

Last edited:
Just as a quick test, I switched the layers and put the window screen behind the film. Didn't work at all. Even though the film is only tinted, you can't see the screen through the film. Next test will be what I mentioned above, using the window screen like a template and painting the film as was done for AVP.

predator_bio_lenses2.jpg

Last edited:
You could also look for craft screen at Michael's craft stores. It somes in different grid sizes and maybe you'll find the match you're looking for if window screen isn't doing it for you.

You could also look for craft screen at Michael's craft stores. It somes in different grid sizes and maybe you'll find the match you're looking for if window screen isn't doing it for you.

Thank you sir. I will be back in Vegas this weekend and will take a look! I am definitely not happy with the window screen look.

Well, I can't call this test a success because the screen wasn't held down tight enough over the film, but I REALLY like the single layer look. I need to do more testing, but I feel this MAY be a step in the right direction. Again, I would love to hear the thoughts of others on this.

predator_bio_lenses3.jpg

Last edited:
What I think you should do is sandwich the mesh between two of bambs lenses maybe not his but lenses lighter in color. I tried this and it looks just like the lenes from the movie. I tried the whole paint thing and it didn't look right. maybe I was doing it wrong, who knows...

Clear smoke color lens (Mesh) then a darker clear smoke lens.

What looks almost close to the P1 lens from the movie is (Micro Wave glass) the glass they have for the doors on some Microwaves. I've been on a search for the same type of lenses my self. Now just need to find some thing simular in none glass form. once I find it I will install it in my PtGreek P1 bio

http://www.sciencephoto.com/images/showFul...pg?id=670010355

I felt, upon review of the various lense photos I could find, that the mesh was sandwiched between a thin clear acetate (Office Max) and something tinted...

Maybe try a sheet of clear flexible plastic in front of the mesh?

I've found mesh in hobby stores that is square, and they tend to vary in size as well. Its a challenge to find the right one...

They also come in different colors from the craft store. Normally silver, brass, things like that. Easy enough to spraypaint if needed though.

I think that you could use sun glasses and just take out the lens and put some window screen(the mesh) between the helmet and the lens

[quote name='Bo'Skarr' post='289499' date='Apr 27 2011, 12:18 AM']I think that you could use sun glasses and just take out the lens and put some window screen(the mesh) between the helmet and the lens[/quote]

Due to the shape of the eyes, that won't work on my helmet. I am trying to maintain the lip thickness to the same level as that seen in the movie which means there is a wicked curve in the eye cutout as you approach the bridge of the nose. Whatever I use, it will have to be very flexible to round that bend properly.

I have been making bios for a while now and the best things to use as lenes is thin( but durable clear plastic)why you ask.....
It flexes easy to fit the inner contour of the mask....couple dots of hot glue around the edges and apply..easy as that....If you want to black out the lenses and you still
want to see through them use a small amount a car window tint and apply that to the precut plastic...it works great and cost next to nothing............

example pic....not to bad looking

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been making bios for a while now and the best things to use as lenes is thin( but durable clear plastic)why you ask.....
It flexes easy to fit the inner contour of the mask....couple dots of hot glue around the edges and apply..easy as that....If you want to black out the lenses and you still
want to see through them use a small amount a car window tint and apply that to the precut plastic...it works great and cost next to nothing............

example pic....not to bad looking

What do you have behind the clear for the grid? I am liking that look!

Last edited:
to make those lenses hot glued thin plastic cut into shape......then steel mesh painted black behind thatFind it at hobby store in clay and plaster area I believe)...then
a cut piece of black construction paper behind that.....cheap and easy....

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back