Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess Hylian Shield

Aggro

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this forum. I've been here on and off for a year now watching all your amazing creations!

But now finally I've started with my own little project!
And that is the Hylian Shield from Twilight Princess. I wanted to try and make it out of EVA Foam since it would be light when used for cosplays.

I've got a blueprint of the interwebs that I printed out and cut out the foam parts with then I used a dremel to shape and sand everything and sometimes I used normal sandpaper in different grits

I still have som minor detailing to do and then I will go over to painting!

Do you guys have any recommendations on what paint I should use to make it look more like metal?

I'm thinking about a metallic paint on the border and metal details then just different acrylics

Foto 2015-07-14 14 04 12.jpgFoto 2015-07-14 14 12 57.jpgFoto 2015-07-14 14 31 19.jpgFoto 2015-07-31 09 26 46.jpgFoto 2015-07-31 09 26 55.jpg

Last edited:
Hey dude this is looking amazing cant wait to see it once it is finished! Now are you going for a super shiny paint job where you can see yourself in the reflection or just a simpler metallic?

Hey dude this is looking amazing cant wait to see it once it is finished! Now are you going for a super shiny paint job where you can see yourself in the reflection or just a simpler metallic?

Thank you! This is also my first ever prop :)

I'm not sure yet.. I think I will have it just a simpler metallic to make it feel like it's used. But it looks good when it's polished and shiny. But I think I will go for the more used look :)

Alright so i also use EVA foam for my props and i have found that just using rub and buff metallic finish works great for making a used metallic look. it will take some time since there is a lot of area to cover but it will give you the look you are going for. Also i have found that coating the exposed EVA foam parts in multiple layers of watered down Elmers glue helps it keep its paint job and make the paint look more like how it is suppose to be. you could use primer for this but i don't know if that would help more with keeping the paint from being absorbed into the EVA foam

Last edited:
Alright so i also use EVA foam for my props and i have found that just using rub and buff metallic finish works great for making a used metallic look. it will take some time since there is a lot of area to cover but it will give you the look you are going for. Also i have found that coating the exposed EVA foam parts in watered down Elmers glue helps it keep its paint job and make the paint look more like how it is suppose to be. you could use primer for this but i don't know if that would help more with keeping the paint from being absorbed into the EVA foam

For sealing I have PlastiDip. I found it to be very conventient to paint on and also to seal the foam :) I live in sweden so I will need to find something that works like rub and buff since it's hard to get here. In worst cases I can order it online :)

Also thanks for the good tips ^_^

Last edited:
Here's a little update:

I added a handle, some details and also the band that goes around the wrist.
The band is a leather belt I cut shorter and smaller so it would fit properly.

I have now also sprayed the entire shield with plasti dip and when it is cured I will start the painting

(Sorry for the bad phone pictures!)
Foto 2015-08-05 12 00 08.jpgFoto 2015-08-05 12 00 18.jpgFoto 2015-08-05 14 31 41.jpg

This project hasn't been worked on for a while. But I finally started working on it this summer.

Started by covering it in worbla since the plasti dip created a terrible fuzzy surface.
IMG_20170830_174319.jpgIMG_20170830_201808.jpgIMG_20170830_184718.jpg

Once it was covered in worbla I have started to paint it. Will post an update when the painting is finished!
IMG_20171118_164054.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back