LED effects on Jawa Ion Blaster?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Mandelstam, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Mandelstam

Mandelstam New Member

Hi everyone and thanks for a great forum!

I'm in the process of building a Ion Blaster for a Jawa costume. Not the Enfield blaster but the other one.. Look here: http://www.therpf.com/f9/other-jawa-blaster-one-not-made-enfield-46353/

I was looking at and reading this thread from Badmojo and I'm basically going to follow his example of using different pvc parts. His work was really inspiring to say the least! Power to him!

Now to my question... To my knowledge this blaster haven't been fired on screen and the real prop hasn't got any electronics installed. It's only been shown sort of in the background.

But I have itchy fingers and I really want to install some electronics (some indicating leds for instance) in the blaster. And maybe even some flashing light effects for the firing mechanism. But I haven't got a clue as to how I should design these as there aren't any references of they would look (if they even could or should have existed on the real gun).

I'm not really going for a 100% screen accurate gun as I can't get hold of the real parts that were used for building it and I haven't the machining skills or tools to make it with a lathe or something like that. There are going to be slight differences from the real prop because of the pvc parts doesn't match the prop 100%. But I don't want to stray to far from the original either and if I'm going to add some effects I want it to be sort of in spirit of the Jawas and Star Wars.

Any thoughts or ideas?

My idea right now is to add a small flick switch on the back of the barrel as Badmojo did and have that light up some indicating LEDs or even a small LED array. For the firing effect I have some ideas but nothing that I'm really confident about..

I really need your input on this!

Thanks!