LED Drilling and Installation Guide

Uratz

Sr Member
HI Everybody

Just though I'd share this little trick for installing LEDs into thick bio's. For thin Bios the LED hole wall are simple but for thick bios like the ones I make it can be daunting
to install. This is what I usually do for freshly cast Bios. Pictured here are Bio's that are painted so some extra steps are involved to protect the Bio with a plastic bag
Then proceed to the drilling parts. After drilling u can remove the bags and wipe with a soft damp lint free cloth. IF u've scratched it here and there u will need to retouch the paint job.

Step 1:
LEDStep1.jpg

Step 2:
LEDstep2.jpg

Step 3:
LEDStep3.jpg

PM me if u have any further Questions

Thanks for reading!

LEDStep1.jpg

LEDstep2.jpg

LEDStep3.jpg

Great mini tutorial there, but pardon my ignorance, why don't you cast the bio with the holes already there? Is it because not all LED's/lasers are the same diameter?

Great Question. I have thought long ago before I've cast 50+ plus bios. The reason is my resin is a bit more liquid than others. I do have bios cast by Hez and Biohunter and they're both non fiberglass, resin only. I suspect their resin is a bit more viscous after the hardener is mixed and can be coated like a thick melted cheese like liquid. I wish I have this kind of resin.

Mine is more for pouring into box molds and when it starts to gel and get hard quick in less than a minute.
My bio's have layers of fiberglass as well building up off the walls of the bio. I mix parts a and b then pour into the mold, soaking into the FBG and gradually building up layers thus creating a more thicker and durable bio.

Ah hah, I can see how coating fibreglass is bloody awkward around something as small, especially as you have 3 holes to negotiate. Love your work BTW.

Yeah its a Biotch to work like this but you really get ur money's worth in resin and FBG alone. I'm not sending anything overseas to only crack and die from the shipping.
Its gotta survive the trip half way around the world.

Have you ever worked with Jesmonite? It's a water based resin and I don't think it's as susceptible to temperature changes during curing. It can be reinforced with fibreglass or somthinf similar called quadraxial glass. Main problem is it tends to be slightly heavier than polyester resin for a given area and is slightly more expensive. I've used it a couple of times and actually prefer it cos it doesn't burn your lungs. Used it most recently on my near full size Predator build.

Sounds like a wonderful material with the Safety factor and the low temperature curing definitely will extend silicone mold life producing more castings. But with the weight and cost issue it may not be practical especially if the Bio's are made to be worn. I think for other smaller pieces may be worth the try but for huge Predator Bios add on top of already heavy latex w/ 40 dreads the human neck can only take so much

Thanks for the tip though I may try this product later down the road.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back