Leatherworking tips?

EdgeofNowhere

I'm trying to make a few swordbelts for my reenacting group, but I can't remember whether I should dye first, then apply neatsfoot oil, or oil first, and then dye.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

also leather has a waxy film on it from the tanning process... This will actually prevent the dye from seaping into the leather evenly. They have chemicals to remove this but i always opt for the home remedy. To get rid of this use some isopropyl alcohol mixed with lemon juice on a rag... The lemon helps break down the waxes.

You don't have to do that if you're using the right type of leather. Pre-dyed leathers aren't meant to be dyed again. Get some natural tooling leather and use that.

You don't have to do that if you're using the right type of leather. Pre-dyed leathers aren't meant to be dyed again. Get some natural tooling leather and use that.

Trust me, I've been doing this for years, that won't do anything good to the leather.

And... Then you know that tooling leather should be deglazed before dying it. Check link below.

How to use Leather Dye :: How to Dye Leather :: Fiebing's Horse & Leather Care Products

.. Wait... Maybe fieblings is wrong.. They have only been in business since 1895. Look dude, no need to crap on anyones posts who are trying to help someone out.
Here is another link on how to "properly dye leather".

Newbie to Deglazing. Advice, please. - Leatherworker.net

:thumbsup

Last edited:
I'm just saying that alcohol and lemon juice will dry the leather out. In 4 years of leather work I've never once had to use them, I just buy good hides that don't have spots on them and I'm careful in how I apply the dye and the color turns out great. That being said, I'm tempted to try this out on some scrap now and see if there's any difference. Thanks for posting the links.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back