Leather Waeathering (Say THAT 10 times fast!)

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Evilboy, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Evilboy

Evilboy Member

I have a leather bandolier I need to weather for my sons Jawa costume. This thing is pristine WWII replica and I have not weathered leather before. Any help would be appreciated!

2. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

I'd try lightly going over it with sandpaper. I'd also recommend starting with some scrap leather to practice with.

3. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

I distressed a new flat looking Darth Vader leather belt by basically bending it and mangling it ...twisting in as many directions as possible....this gave the smooth surface an aged wrinkle look.....i then went over it with a mouse/detail sander and 80 grit paper......paying special attention to the edges of the belt and randomly leaning harder on the surface...then more twisting....

Worked really well!

Rich

4. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Bending and twisting and a scotch brite pad. Less dangerous than sandpaper, gives it a more natural look.

5. Tobot

Tobot Active Member

I've recently been weathering my ghostbusters boots, and I found the best thing to do was just to wear them to work for a couple of weeks.

Although this is probably not an option for you, so x2 on the mangling and maybe a few cycles of wetting it, drying it , beeswax. And maybe let it sit somewhere dusty, if it's a jawa costume maybe drag it though some sand repeatedly Depends how aged you want?

6. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think this is one of those things where there isn't really a right or wrong answer... Get creative! :lol

7. Evilboy

Evilboy Member

I needed some general ideas and that's what I got. Thanks all! I will post pics sometime...