Leather cutting help PLEASE!!!

GBrittelleJr

I have some vegetable tanned leather, about 1.5mm thick, that I need to cut about 1500 1 inch circular discs. Hand cutting using shears is out of the question, as I only have 6 weeks to get this suit done. I've looked into punches, but the largest I can find are 0.75" diameter...

So, I ask you all- does anyone have any advice on tools or techniques I can use to expedite this process? Thanks everyone!

Greg

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, I got a punch set from them a while back for pretty cheap. It's not in front of me at the moment, but I'm pretty certain it includes a 1" among them.

What sort of suit are you making?

GB,

Depending on what you are doing, you can either get half or whole circles. The half circles are strap-end cutters. Here are a couple of mine and examples of what they can do.... Just make sure you get good, QUALITY punches and keep them sharp!

6946388682_ceaf9e480d_c.jpg

Punch sizes

7092458615_4f03ab0e21_c.jpg

strap-end cutter shapes

7092457649_87ce36d333_c.jpg

examples

Everyone, thank you! I'm going to order the punch from amazon on Monday. And Kevin, you nailed it. Scale mail. For a comic book Captain America.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back