Leather cutting help PLEASE!!!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

GBrittelleJr

I have some vegetable tanned leather, about 1.5mm thick, that I need to cut about 1500 1 inch circular discs. Hand cutting using shears is out of the question, as I only have 6 weeks to get this suit done. I've looked into punches, but the largest I can find are 0.75" diameter...

So, I ask you all- does anyone have any advice on tools or techniques I can use to expedite this process? Thanks everyone!

Greg

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

GBrittelleJr

Elro, I feel like a noob. I scoured the Internet looking for just that, and it's on amazon. Figures. Thanks so much!!

SmilingOtter

Master Member
If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, I got a punch set from them a while back for pretty cheap. It's not in front of me at the moment, but I'm pretty certain it includes a 1" among them.

What sort of suit are you making?

IMFletcher

GB,

Depending on what you are doing, you can either get half or whole circles. The half circles are strap-end cutters. Here are a couple of mine and examples of what they can do.... Just make sure you get good, QUALITY punches and keep them sharp!

Punch sizes

strap-end cutter shapes

examples

GBrittelleJr

Everyone, thank you! I'm going to order the punch from amazon on Monday. And Kevin, you nailed it. Scale mail. For a comic book Captain America.