Leather cutting help PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by GBrittelleJr, Apr 18, 2012.

1. GBrittelleJr

GBrittelleJr Well-Known Member

I have some vegetable tanned leather, about 1.5mm thick, that I need to cut about 1500 1 inch circular discs. Hand cutting using shears is out of the question, as I only have 6 weeks to get this suit done. I've looked into punches, but the largest I can find are 0.75" diameter...

So, I ask you all- does anyone have any advice on tools or techniques I can use to expedite this process? Thanks everyone!

Greg

2. elro

elro Active Member

3. GBrittelleJr

Elro, I feel like a noob. I scoured the Internet looking for just that, and it's on amazon. Figures. Thanks so much!!

4. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, I got a punch set from them a while back for pretty cheap. It's not in front of me at the moment, but I'm pretty certain it includes a 1" among them.

What sort of suit are you making?

5. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sounds like leather scalemail to me...

6. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Member

GB,

Depending on what you are doing, you can either get half or whole circles. The half circles are strap-end cutters. Here are a couple of mine and examples of what they can do.... Just make sure you get good, QUALITY punches and keep them sharp!

[​IMG]
    Punch sizes

[​IMG]
    strap-end cutter shapes

[​IMG]
    examples

7. Havok69

Havok69 Well-Known Member

You might also want to get some beeswax to help while removing the punch from the leather.

8. GBrittelleJr

Everyone, thank you! I'm going to order the punch from amazon on Monday. And Kevin, you nailed it. Scale mail. For a comic book Captain America.