Leather costume question

GBrittelleJr

So here's my question, to those in the know-

For making a full body, but sleeveless bodysuit, what oz., grade, and how much would I possibly need? The guy is about 5'8" and weighs around 170 (muscular).

Thanks again!!

Just the body suit, no extra gear?
You may need 4 or more hides, depending on the size of the hides and intricacy of design. The best hide to get is furniture/car interior (upholstery) grade hide. Cow is the most common, and ranges from dense and stiff to buttery soft, depending on how it was tanned and density. You can google shop hides all day, Etsy or eBay are the first two that pop into my head. I'd go with something on the softer more pliable side. 1.5-2.0 ounces should be fine. Very pricey project. Looking at $400 and up.

Oh, wow...how appropriate. :D

Well, good luck sourcing the leather for your project. I'm curious to see how it comes together. If you have any questions or ideas, please ask and share.

Have you thought about pleather as a cheaper alternative or is that just a bad idea (out of curiosity)

I've definitely thought of pleather, but I'd prefer it to be a bit more supple. Most pleather/vinyl I've seen if fairly stiff. Unless there's new stuff out that's better?

I've definitely thought of pleather, but I'd prefer it to be a bit more supple. Most pleather/vinyl I've seen if fairly stiff. Unless there's new stuff out that's better?

I just did a costume out of vinyl (that is supposed to look like leather) and it was pretty soft. Almost too soft, I had to be careful while setting the grommets to make sure not to cut though the material.

No, at some random fabric shop in Downtown LA.

But I have seen lighter weight vinyl at JoAnne's... For a school project we used some navy blue stuff that would need to be lined, but it wasn't too thick...

Go with goatskin. Very soft and lightweight. A little bit more on the expensive side for a good hide but well worth the quality of a 100% leather costume.

Average cost for a half hide is about $70.00 usually 2-2.5 oz.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back