LCD screens - odd shapes and sizes?

nick daring

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've got projects in mind that would use LCD screens of specific shapes and sizes.

What's the best way to learn more about what's available and also hooking them up to a computer or at least to a board that can play simple video or display photos once you've acquired the proper screen for your project.

Teach me about LCD screens, rpf!

Nick

There are VERY, VERY few 'custom' screen shapes or sizes available and when you do locate one they are exponentially more expensive, think ridiculously more expensive...

The standard 4:3, 16:9 or what they call a 'line' displays, basically 1, 2, 3 or 4 lines etc are what you are mostly limited to unless you have deep pockets and get lucky finding a manufacture that has the shape you want...

As for how to get video to play on them, well that depends on the screen some have controller cards built in some don't, some take normal video inputs some don't, some have SD or USB interfaces some don't, there is no single answer as to how to get video on them it depends on your screen selection and choice...

Dollar for dollar you can't even come close to the ease and value of using the cheap Chinese import mp4 players, they can be had for chump change and are a turnkey video device...

Dollar for dollar you can't even come close to the ease and value of using the cheap Chinese import mp4 players, they can be had for chump change and are a turnkey video device...

And, if you really want it to fit a certain shape and there's enough space available, you can backlight and project it onto a screen. The resolution wouldnt be great, but it's an option.

I have a few of the qualcomm "flo" tv's laying around here if they would help you. you would have to figure how to integrate them to what you are doing.

I've used the photo keychains in a few projects now. Small, easy to upload photos (and videos to some) to, and easy to re-wire the buttons to wherever you need 'em.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back