Latex Rubber??

Gilmortar

Sr Member
Hey everyone, I was asked by a friend to make a belt for a comic inspired Wolverine, and he is wanting to do a belt that is fully movable. Now for it this is how the design came out.

IM000422.jpg

So I made a prototype. Made a wood and plastic mold of it and I made a plaster mold. So what I plan on is, taking some Latex rubber, and pouring it in to the mold and then pullin it out. Will this kind of stuff work for it:

http://www.artmolds.com/product_details.cf...=Latex%20Rubber

or is there somethin else I should use for it? I dont wanna F it up and have to redo it, so what do you masters suggest?

Don't use that...Use slip casting latex called RD407. It's used for mask making and is easy to use and build up layers until you want it as thick as you want.

well, mainly I have a plaster mold where I just need to pour it in to the mold, and then when it cures i can just pull it out.

I was looking at RD407 as well, I jsut didnt know if which would be the best.

Latex doesn't cure like other things..that's the problem. It needs air so it can dry. So if it is poured too thick it simply won't dry for a while

well looking at the belt is about 1/2" thick in one spot, will that stuff be strong enough? I would love to use the RD407, cuz its cheaper...lol

is there any 2 part mixing catalyst latex? and if it comes to it...if I pour some, then it cures, and I pour some on top of that before it fully cures will it bond?

thanks for answering my questions ion, it means a bunch to me.

As far as I know, there is no 2 part latex. Latex uses ammonia as a dissolving agent (you pour it in something and the ammonia evaporates). One thing to remember is that Latex shrinks as much as 10-15% of its size, so if you make this for a 44" waist (for example) the latex could come out 4-6" short.

Hey everyone, I was asked by a friend to make a belt for a comic inspired Wolverine, and he is wanting to do a belt that is fully movable. Now for it this is how the design came out.

IM000422.jpg

So I made a prototype. Made a wood and plastic mold of it and I made a plaster mold. So what I plan on is, taking some Latex rubber, and pouring it in to the mold and then pullin it out. Will this kind of stuff work for it:

http://www.artmolds.com/product_details.cf...=Latex%20Rubber

or is there somethin else I should use for it? I dont wanna F it up and have to redo it, so what do you masters suggest?
[snapback]1124388[/snapback]​

{quote]

Try this place--it is great stuff and they may have what you need. I have a store close to me and they are very helpful.

SmoothOn

Been looking into something like this myself for my Predator costume.

Looking at the design, i would be tempted to go with a real leather belt, put the snap on at the back.

Then i would get some more leather and create a sheath that could be slipped onto the belt, this would be where you put the various emblems.

As for the emblems, i'd probably go for resin ones. Sculpt the original parts and then make a mold out of Silicone (gives you a nice reusable mold in case your emblems ever get damaged and you need to make more) then pour in the resin.

That only one idea of how to do it, but i am really new to this.

Paul

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back