Latex mask making question.

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by wholesomejoe, Aug 3, 2015.

1. wholesomejoe

wholesomejoe Active Member

I'm at the casting stage for a latex costume. (ninja turtle)

How long should I let the latex dwell in the molds to get a good durable thickness to work with?

My monster makers handbook says 45 minutes, but it also says I might have to do the process 4 or 5 times.. so it doesn't really say, and I've seen other people say 45 minutes to an hour.

2. NAWfx Studio

NAWfx Studio New Member

Hey there! People usually leave latex in a mold for around 20 minutes - an hour before pouring it out, 20 if you're doing like a latex glove and 45 - an hour if you're doing a prop or mask. Also one usually only needs to pour the latex in once to get a good skin on your piece.

Tips: Put plastic wrap over the places where the latex touches air so you don't get a skin on the surface.
    After pouring all the latex out of the mold, leave it upside down over your bucket of latex to let all the excess latex drip out so you don't get any puddling.

This video goes through the whole process of slush-casting a latex monster glove, it's super helpful if you wanna check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY6k6foXEN8

3. wholesomejoe

Question, so i've poured and let it dwell for 45 minutes, drained it, and poured again.. and now were are at like 15 minutes into the 2nd coat. I don't want to leave it in too long, should I go ahead and pour and let it dry now? I'm making ninja turtle forearms and hands

4. ChickenHaunt

ChickenHaunt Well-Known Member

You can always tip it to the side to see how thick the latex has built up on the edge. There's no good hard and fast rule for how long it should dwell, since different batches of latex, different thicknesses and materials of molds, temperature and humidity all make for variances. The pour out and pour in again has always seemed unnecessary to me. You can build up any thickness on the first go. It's a trial and error thing. For me, using slip latex in unreinforced hydrocal molds lately, I've gotten good thicknesses between 20 and 30 minutes.

5. wholesomejoe

I wound up letting it dwell for about an hour, poured.. let it set a bit, repoured for 30 more minutes, then put it in front of fan.. netted me a fairly thick pull (which is good for this project)