Latex in silicone mold?

Tonkers D

has anyone heard of casting slip latex into a silicone mold? I know that gypsum molds absorb the liquid in the latex causing it to cure and silicone wouldnt.

I am curious if there is some kind of additive that could cause it to cure chemically.

Any ideas or knowledge?

From what I've heard in the past, the latex will cure in a silicone mold, but it will cure VERY slowly. Something that might take 12 hours in a gypsum mold could take a week in silicone.

I'm going entirely on the memory of a brief conversation on this subject, so I could be completely wrong as I don't do any latex work, but that's my understanding...

ok kinda figured that... Im running on the same memory of a brief conversation thing as well. I just remember in the back of my head some one saying something on the topic but i cant find it anywhere on the net. Thank you though

same thing with resin, i used resin on my 1st neckring mould, took fecking ages to cure.

I guess in theory you could use a hairdryer to dry layers, but personally it seems like alot of hassle , and silicone is expensive anyway.

Ya i was just looking for a mold that i could cast both latex masks and resin busts out of but i guess latex busts will have to do. Man its frustrating though cause i know somewhere i heard there is some kind of additive...

I do it all the time... I have my molds for my halo armor that I cast in latex. I make sure I use a hotbox for curing. All I do is fill the silicone mold with the latex (usually handplate molds), put them in the hotbox (large plastic tote, with high temp heatpad in it) and let it stand for 12 hours. Be sure to keep it well sealed, so the moisture doesn't fully escape, if it does, the latex will crack.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back