Latex help sourcing here in the UK, and zipper help.

4505marcel

HI guys, I need abit of help sourcing some latex to install a zipper in my torso skin back. Can anyone pont me towards a shop with a link to the right latex I need to buy for installing a zipper with some sort of thickener also?
Ive ordered a metal heavy duty zip and Bob Baggy gave me an extra back piece as I need at add some to the back as the skin is a shade small around my belly :p
I need to add a piece triangular shaped nothing at the top down to 75mm at the bottom, ive read the tutorials on how to add the zipper to the extra piece, but there isnt any info of then attaching the extra piece to the skin, do we lay it flat with some sort of cloth to bridge the gap and then latex over that?
once the right way round, do I then fold it at the join to adhere the edges togetheror is that done before the bridge piece is put in if thats whats used?

Any help gratefully recieved thanks

Marcel

I've only just started my suit, I got my latex and thickener from Creative Resources Distribution, their e mail is supplies@propbuilder.co.uk, they were very helpful when I e mailed them, hope this helps.
(didn't notice the above reply before posting,sorry)

Im not really too sure what stuff I need, I need a thick latex im assuming. I find it all so confusing, latex is all new to me. Resin, fibre glass ect im fine with. Im just lost where to start with this.

I'm new to latex as well, as I understand it, there's 2 types, liquid for brushing, such as making moulds etc, and the other type is for slush casting in a mould, which I believe is the type used for making masks. from the little I know, I would think you'd need the brush on latex, the last time I used latex I made a prosthetic terminator eye, and I used a tiny bit of thickener to build it up a bit quicker. Don't know if this helps?

Dont suppose you can get me an item linky for both the latex and thickener so I can just buy and know ive got it right buddy :p

When I butt up the extra back piece with the zip attached to the main torso, what sort of material is best to bridge the 2 and add some extra strength? I was thinking of something like a butcher would use to wrap meat, that sort of woven cotton tyrp of stuff whatever it is called.
Do I also latex the 2 to stick them togther (on the edge if you like) before I try to bridge the the 2 to finish?

Also whats the difference between latex thickener and thickener gel?

Thanks

I used the monsteroom stuff..first took a crafting needle and some thick nylon thread, sewed on the industrial zipper (zipper material underneath), continued around on both sides and few extra stitches on the end. Used the latex on the outside and sparingly on the inside..enough to smooth out any sight of the stitch and to beefen up the bond..you will never be able to pull the zipper off after about 4 coats. You wouldn't even need that much.
As far as the extension ends I can't say for certain but if you used a good piece of cloth (anything not super thick, not bulging or irritating you) and reinforced the skin then doing the same as for the zipper you will be fine...Once the latex bonds and sinks through the moderately thick material you pick its a done deal :p

Marcel, you can get 2 kinds of latex thickener as far as i know, powder and gel, the gel as far as i am aware is far better.

When i did the zip on my old torso, i just used some extra strong cotton, and then latexed over the stitches onto the latex it was sewed on to.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back