latex fail. can anyone give answers?

HUFN8R

hi guys and girls just wondering if anyone had any answers for me in regards to latex failing. I had (THATS HAD!!) a wolf predator mask:cry that looked pretty cool when out of the blue i went to pick it up and it was so sticky i couldnt let go. the latex had pretty much turned to a close form of liquid. Does anyone have an answer thankyou

Heat and sunlight will kill latex. Also if it is worn and then not cleaned properly, the body fluids that came in contact with it will break down the latex.

Take care,
Tommy

I know latex has a finite life, but I don't know of anything that would turn it to liquid other than acetone... Extreme Heat will make it soft and possibly sticky. Time (alot of time) can make it dry rot.

acetone wont break down latex but naptha, white spirit or benzenes will definatley make it gummy. also oils tend to break latex down very quickly too

thanks for the response guys, i only had it for maybe a year but who knows how old it was. it sat on a stand in the corner of the room where not a whole lot of heat or light got to it but the latex was also fairly thin so it might have been destine for issues.

Was it raw latex or had it been painted - is it the paint that's sticky or the actual latex (is the inside sticky too)?

I know what you're talking about and I've seen this before a few times. Latex will 'melt' when it comes in contact with copper (and brass, I think) to name a few things.

I know this is a very different kind of use but Ireally recommend this site for care of all latex (though probably doesn't extend to foam latex fully ;)

Latex Care | Making Latex Clothing

I suspect it may well be the paint. It sounds like there was a petroleum product in the paint used. For my latex appliances I am extremely careful about making sure as much is protected from my skin as possible and also it affects what paint/makeup/primer and even facial cleanser I use for fear of this. It's all acrylic and latex all the way.

How bad is it? I know there was a recent discussion (I think in the screen used props section?) Recommending one of the members here as the go to person for repair. Otherwise a quick read of this may help pinpoint the problem:
Latex Mask Central

I know this is a very different kind of use but Ireally recommend this site for care of all latex (though probably doesn't extend to foam latex fully ;)

Latex Care | Making Latex Clothing

I suspect it may well be the paint. It sounds like there was a petroleum product in the paint used. For my latex appliances I am extremely careful about making sure as much is protected from my skin as possible and also it affects what paint/makeup/primer and even facial cleanser I use for fear of this. It's all acrylic and latex all the way.

How bad is it? I know there was a recent discussion (I think in the screen used props section?) Recommending one of the members here as the go to person for repair. Otherwise a quick read of this may help pinpoint the problem:
Latex Mask Central

its so bad i cant save it . its got big holes all through it and it keeps sticking to everything it touches which cause more holes when moved. i have heard some good and bad things about the mask , it was a grusderk (think thats the name) with the operational mandibals .

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back