Latest addition to my BLADE RUNNER collection

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Prop Runner, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Today I added the newest found-item prop to my ever-growing BLADE RUNNER collection. It came all the way from Thailand:

[​IMG]

It's called a Burmese Opium Weight, or Tikal, and different measures are represented by different animals and sizes. This one is a duck. I won it on eBay and you can find these daily, however this is by far the closest one to the Blade Runner Tikal I've yet come across, and I've privately written all the regular sources of these antique weights in the hope they could match theirs to my screen capture, but to no avail:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's the ended auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Some more views:

[​IMG]

She's sitting on an upside-down Italian crystal brandy glass from philippes and next to a vintage shot glass made by the Italian Alesi company as part of an art-deco decanter and shot glass carousel. There are 6 glasses in the set, 2 with blue bands, 2 with red bands, and 2 with green bands. And here, under soft warm light:

[​IMG]

And for the benefit of the newbies among us, the rest of my collection:

[​IMG]
    1. Vintage Dazor flying saucer reversible table lamp (source: eBay)
    2. C&S blaster (source: Richard Coyle)
    3. leather holster (source: philippes)
    4. "The Snake Pit" matches (source: philippes)
    5. Italian Alesi art-deco shot glass (source: eBay)
    6. Italian crystal brandy glass (source: philippes)
    7. Rachel's fake childhood photo (source: Ben Mund)
    8. Replicant's "family photos," including the cropped blow-up Polaroid of Zhora that Deckard printed using his Esper Machine (source: Ben Mund)
    9. Gaff's origami chicken - one of ten signed replicas hand-folded by Mick Guy of the UK, who made the originals for the film (my first RPF project. :D )
    10. Deckard's phone card (source: Ben Mund)
    11. Antique bronze opium weight "duck" Tikal (source: eBay)
    And finally, my personal favorite, Dr. Stranglove's fantasy Blade Runner LAPD badge & leather holder:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have various vintage magazines, books, autographed cast photos, and Phil's amazing screen-accurate Deckard wallet & contents replica set & display (no photos will be posted, so please don't ask or make snide comments).

Over the course of my lifetime (short as it may be at this rate :lol), I'm still hoping to acquire, find, or make the following:
    • Accurate all-metal Deckard blaster (preferably one that operates on flash paper or Calcium Carbide)
    • Leon's "Mother's Defender" COP .357 deringer
    • Screen-accurate origami unicorn
    • Deckard's sepia-tone family photos
    • Tyrell's blind-as-a-bat eyeglasses
    • Bryant's dual-Amritron style digital watch
    • Tsing-Tao ribbed saki bottle
    • Johnny Walker square bottle (doesn't actually exist - was a special design for the film)
    • White Dragon Noodle Bar working neon sign - I WILL MAKE IT... :love
    • Full scale Frank Lloyd Wright Ennis Brown House tile (hell, redo my house with a 1,000 of them. :D )
    • Voight-Kampf machine (somebody finally MAKE this thing. :angry )
    • 1939 World Fair Saturn glass table lamp (friggin EXPENSIVE.... >$250 on eBay)
    Enjoy the thread, and I welcome your questions & comments. No PMs please. :)

- Gabe

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  2. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Isn't that how it always goes? One minute you've never heard of some obscure object, the next minute, you've got to have one. :lol

:thumbsup Good score.

- k

3. DrStranglove

DrStranglove Sr Member

You found the Duck?

Yes...... You suck.......

(Thanks for the kind words on the Badge... I should have made 1000.)

4. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Always love to see BR stuff, thanks for posting pics of the entire collection.

Tommin was selling a few of the origami unicorns a while back, but I'm not sure if he still has any.

5. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Yeah, I helped him with that, but I'm a perfectionist, and was hoping to get the professional paper folder who introduced me to Mick Guy to make it in quantities for the RPF, but she got married and then was overcome by a life-threatening illness, so it never happened. It's been over a year since I trying contacting her, so maybe I can resurrect the project after all. :)

Doc: you're welcome, buddy. :D I still feel bad for the member who had to let it go... :( Truly an heirloom, and one not soon to be surpassed. :thumbsup

- Gabe

6. tk421mv7

tk421mv7 Well-Known Member

You already inspired me to pick up a Dazor lamp... it's in my living room and even my girlfriend likes it. :)

I also have the shot glass/carousel set. I wasn't really planning on making a BR collection per se, but a lot of these things are just *cool*.

So now you've inspired me to look into these opium weights. Some of the elephant versions I saw were pretty nice. I might get a small set.

Great collection. Good luck tracking down the rest... particularly that table lamp. I think I like the props that you can actually USE the best.

7. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

Gabe, That is sweet. I have Deckard Blaster and a COP .357 and a Deckard ID but you have some truly sweet items there.

Great job and best of luck on the rest of your collection.

[Edited pics - RPF Staff]

8. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

DOH... Forgot about Leon's gun - just revised my list - I meant to include it. :D

Maybe I should add a stuffed owl, too... ;)

Could you also please edit out my first post? It's forcing people to drool twice as much. :p

Thanks.

- Gabe

9. Lupus Yonderboy

Lupus Yonderboy Well-Known Member

Fantastic, thanks for sharing :)
    /P

10. Jedi Lawja

Jedi Lawja Well-Known Member

That is a seriously sweet collection.

I'm building-up a COP aka "Mother's Little Helper'. There are three varients available, static (mine), which is a three-piece kit, gun body, and two handgrips. For a little over twice the cost of the static, is a four-cast+ kit. 2 Handgrips, Main Body, and tip-up barrel. Belive it also comes with 4 resin/fake bullets. Last is similar in price to the second, has the tip-up barrel, but the handgrips have been completely re-done. They claim screen accuracy, but I've personally not seen a detailed screen-cap of Leon holding it.

Jay

11. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Cool info, Jay, and thanks for the comps. :) I'd be grateful if you post or e-mail me the particulars on all 3 COP variants (including pictures), as I'll be in the market for one soon.

Also, if you know, what's your opinion of the $99 airsoft version often featured on eBay?

Thanks

- Gabe
    proprunner@aol.com

12. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Great eye candy. The BR items always have a cool factor to them. Congrats on running down the duck.

13. PodRacer X

PodRacer X Active Member

Man, you really have researched a ton of the minutiae from the film. Very nice collection. You should get a piano to display it all on. :D

I just got the Coyle Blaster last month, my first BR prop. I thought I was hot stuff, but I can see that there is a whole world of things out there beyond the gun.

14. Feraud

Feraud Sr Member

It is official.. Gabe, you are my idol. :thumbsup
    What a great addition to your collection and the hobby. I am one of the lucky few to have a Mick Guy origami chicken. All thanks to you on that.

Now how am I going to explain 'Burmese opium weights' to the wife?... :eek

15. tommin

tommin Sr Member

That is one sweet collection, Gabe.. Congrats on your recent score.

I only have the one left now... ;)

[​IMG]

16. Force Commander

Force Commander Well-Known Member

Hmmm, looks like to are collecting memories. We may have to send someone out to "test" you.

17. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

:lol

GOOD ONE...

- Gabe

P. S. In case anybody cares to know, I * WOULD turn over the upside-down tortoise baking in the hot desert sun. :angel

18. Force Commander

Force Commander Well-Known Member

The real issue is; would you recognize the issue of the bear skin rug and be properly appauled, or focus on the female nudity in the poster?

19. Killdozer

Killdozer Active Member

Awesome.

How does the size strike you? Do you think you got the right weight?

so very jealous...

KD

20. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Good question - by definition the sizes of these Tikals vary considerably. Judging from the screen capture, the level of detail, proportions, and comparing mine to sheet music, it's dead on for size. :)

Guys - no need for jealousy - these things are on eBay EVERY DAY - it's just a matter of waiting until the right one comes along, and as close as mine is, it's still not 100%

Since I now have one I'm relatively happy with, I wanted to pay it forward. If one of you scores an even closer one, it'll be MY turn to be jealous - unless I outbid you in a snipe and sell you this one... :lol

- Gabe

21. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well -uck a duck. ;)

Nice catch.. :)

22. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

That's two different "-uck" comments sent my way in the same thread - COOL. :lol

- Gabe

23. Killdozer

Killdozer Active Member

Hey, I know that-- that's where I found the first one. ;)

Thanks for the tip on the size-- I only know if from the caps above, and I didn't know the relative sizes of the photos...

KD

24. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

DOH. :p I should have credited you with inspiring my search, KD - will you ever forgive me? :$

BTW - which one is yours:

[​IMG]

The brass one on the far right looks perfect, the middle one looks like it came from the same foundry as mine. If that's yours, then HOWDY, NEIGHBOR. :D

- Gabe

25. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool score.

I nabbed one a couple months ago from a british seller on an online store. Wonderful inventory and friendly communication. I'll see if I can find the site.

It's pretty close I must say (but of course still not perfect). It was quite a search though. THe BR styled one is really hard to find.

I really need to take some pics of my collection. It's not as extensive as yours (still don't have many paper props) but it's got some neat stuff including my in progress ESPER and VK machine.

I've even made appointments with a friend of mine to take some photos on his piano of my own spread. One day soon perhaps.

Nick

26. Riv

Riv Well-Known Member

Here's where I start drooling... :love

*wipe*

Excuse me.

Anyway, I'm very very jealous. That's a sweet set-up of BR props you've got there.

I wanna see someone come up with a way to do the "fake" photo of Rachel and her mother where it actually animates as it does in the film (in close-up). Maybe as one of those holograms that shifts based on the viewing angle? :lol

And while I'm dreaming, maybe throw a sound chip on it that makes the sound of distant children's laughter.

:D

27. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

Man. And all I have is a Mick Guy origami chicken. :cry

;)

Seriously though, great find. :thumbsup

Hey Gabe, do you know if that old origami thread is still around? I can't locate it using the search. I'm specifically looking for pics of the matchstick man, and I seem to recall that old thread having pics of all 3 items (chicken, unicorn, man) in it... :D

I think I've figured out how to fold the unicorn, but it'll probably take tweezers to fold the paper. Lots of folds, and it takes *2* very small pieces of paper. :unsure

Thanks.

28. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Tell me, only the GOOD things that come into your mind, about... tortoises?

29. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Gabe do you REALLY think anyone is gonna' drool over that duck? huh? do ya? Hmmm? :eek

It's no big secret how much I love blade runner, and have to admit that I drooled a little. Just a little.

I picked up one of the pop-up TV's from ebay a while back, along with some TV's of the sdame style, and a certain walkie talkie.

And YES, I plan on building a Vk machine, an esper, and we will be building the spinner cockpit interiors for our fan film in a few short months.

Njc--------------------------------------

30. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Fett: nice to see you here, dude. :)

The BR origami thread probably fell off the deep end over 2 years ago, man. Wish it had been archived, but I don't think it was. :( I'm not home right now ( :love ) so when I get back I'd be happy to repost the unicorn and matchstick man pics.

Noeland: it's ok to admit you drool over water fowl. There are websites for people like you... :lol

Nick: and all this time I was imagining YOU having the Mother of all Blade Runner collections. :p I swear that ever since you began feeding that monster "Web of props" thread, it's only inspired my obsession to out-do you. :D I'd love to see photos of what' you've amassed already, including your duck.

Funny you both mention the V-K machine. I and 2 others who have either started designing or building a V-K replica are seriously considering a partnership - a consortium - of BR fans where we'll share our collective skills, knowledge, and resources to build the ultimate V-K machine. Like the R2 Builders Club. And not just one or two... In fact, I just days ago registered the domanin name: www.voightkampftest.com and am drafting a proposed project partnership agreement and mission statement. So if you two want to be a part of it, drop me an e-mail at proprunner@aol.com and I'll add you to the mailing list.

That goes for anyone here. :)

- Gabe

31. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

Many thanks. I look forward to seeing the pics (again). :D

And yeah, this stuff should *really* be archived so we don't repeat it again and again. I've seen the same type of thread so many times, I question my sanity more than I normally do. :lol

32. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Here you go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: that's actually Mick Guy's hand placing the chicken on the side table. It's the end of a scene that Ridley had edited out showing a close-up of Mick's hand folding the chicken from start to finish. He was dressed in Gaff's costume and had to endure the lung-choking smoke that Ridley had pumped onto the set for that pepetual haze visible in practically every interior shot of the movie. :p

And finally:

[​IMG]

:D

- Gabe

33. tommin

tommin Sr Member

Gabe, could you please simulate the origami chicken screep cap with your own photography? I have a feeling that those are too large.

If anyone would like to tackle the unicorn, here is a good place to start:

http://cgi.linkclub.or.jp/~null/unicorn/unicorn1.html

34. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gabe: Yeah I've got a pretty cool collection so far but I haven't worried to much about the paper prop stuff yet. A bit of photoshop and you've got it. I deal with 2d image stuff for a living so the 3d prop stuff is where the geek magic is for me. One day I'll do the pile of photos. They are way cool.

My current job (which has been incredibly time consuming) is about to finish up soon (or at least let up quite a bit) and I'll finally be able to spend a bit of time on some personal geek projects like the VK and plan on building parts very soon. I've spent a considerable chunk of time on this wierd little machine and am excited to share the specific info with fellow BR fanboys. Count me in on your your website project.

I've been promising pics for a while. I promise to finally deliver soon. 12 hour work days 6 to 7 days a week have been the norm for the last 6 months on the flick. All good things come to those who wait (and bust their hump.).

Feel free to get a hold of me at nickdaring@hotmail.com and we can talk this stuff over.

Nick

35. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

Thanks, Gabe. :thumbsup

I was trying to get a screencap today during the matchstick man scene when Gaff sets it on the table. I SWEAR it looks like a straight pin sticking out of the matchstick man's "butt area", point facing down. If it's not that, it's one sharp piece of wood. It's used as the "3rd leg" the figure balances on.

Thoughts?

36. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

That drove me close to the brink of insanity a few days ago. I stopped because I decided it was more fun to have a root canal. :lol

Is anyone still making the unicorns? This is enough to make me want to re-start that BR origami thread. :lol

37. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Thomas: got your PM, will respond ASAP (been out most of the day). Not sure what you mean or are referring to by "those are too large." The items in the photos are of course out of scale. Here's a photo of me holding my Mick Guy chicken:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is that what you had in mind? I can also take a better pic of the chicken next to a quarter or a ruler - let me know. And sorry for the blurry pics - flash totally washes the chicken out and I don't have a steady hand... :p

Nick: I lost track of Ben Mund years ago and kick myself now for not purchsing his Deckard family photos and piano sheet music set. Here's how they look from his old catalog:

[​IMG]

He even used serrated edge paper for the arge portrait and added a square crystal glass stain on the sheet music - nice touch. :lol A very talented digital bootlegger, he was.

Think you could whip up your own? I don't recall ever seeing you offer anything by way of prop replicas - I'd be honored to be your first customer if you tackle this as a paper prop project. I'd also be happy to send you hi-res scans of Mund's Replicant family photos.

By the way - I can't believe I registered the www.voightkampftest.com domain with a typo - I'm missing one f. :$ But not to worry: the domain with the correct spelling was still available and Big Daddy's 24/7 tech support swapped them out for me. :D

Look for a "coming soon" page in the next few days... And I'll be looking for your promised photos. ;)

Oh, and I added you to the VK Partnership mailing list. Once I've finished drafting the partnership proposal you'll all be hearing from me. :)

- Gabe

38. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

If I had to guess, I'd say it was just a very thin sliver of match - a razor or scalpel could slice it like that, I suppose. Doesn't seem to be solid enough to be a metal pin.

Regarding the unicorn, I'll try and re-establish contact with the paper folder who originally agreed to do these. If she's incommunicado, I may just have to reach out to Mick Guy again, even though he's not the one who made the original. :)

- Gabe

39. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

Cool. Keep me in the loop.

I've spent TOO much time today with a box of wooden matches and an X-Acto knife. :unsure

So... Yeah. Anything would be helpful at this point. :lol

40. tommin

tommin Sr Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will check my pm's shortly... :D

41. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

No big deal: my chicken is just better fed. :lol

Seriously, I never noticed the "chicken inflation" before. Considering that Mick made the on-screeen chicken 23+ years ago and hadn't made any until my personal appeal back in '03, I'd say he worked pretty well from memory. ;)

- Gabe

42. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

You can tell the folds are correct. It's most likely just due to the size of paper he started out with. ;)

The scaling may be off a tad, but it was done by Mick. That alone should forgive any size inaccuracies. :D

43. tommin

tommin Sr Member

Not to be rude but, this 'doubting Thomas' has doubted the 'Mick Guy' urban legend from the beginning...

44. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

I guess that makes me the "Devil's Advocate", then, eh? :D

I just think that we received "ideal" versions of the chicken that were made with Mick having the benefit of unlimited time to fold them. When he was on the set he was rushed and not working in the best of conditions (smoke and such) as described by Gabe earlier. Ridley is probably lucky he got a chicken out of him, and not a horse or something. :lol

I don't know... The slight inconsistencies don't bother me, and if they ever do, I'll just re-fold those tiny portions that are off and it'll all be "fixed". :D

I never knew that there was a question as to Mick's credentials, and as to whether or not he made the movie chicken. I don't know about that urban legend. If you tell me he's the one responsible for stealing kidneys from people I'll be really upset then. :lol

45. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great Thread.

Gabe, nice collection. Great find.

Nice list of wants as well.
    I have to add one more for myself, The lighted shaft umbrellas. When I saw BR in the theater it was one of the things that caught my eye. Such a simple, taken for granted, everyday object with an unexpected enhancement. Set the whole futuristic thing for me right then and there.

46. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

And your dream can come true for a mere $6300. ;)

47. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

48. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

Hey Gabe -

What size is that duck? I don't have any sheet music or vintage photos handy to scale it from. ;) :lol

2", 3" tall?

Thanks.

J

49. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Here you go:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Don't give up. :)

- Gabe

50. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

A tad smaller than I thought, but not by much...

Don't worry, size isn't everything. :love :lol

Thanks for the pics. :thumbsup