Last-minute Budget Murloc Costume for 9yr old - Test Fitting Pics!

indiefilmgeek

Sr Member
Why not?! :confused

My 3yr old's cyclops costume is done (Grandma has the wrist and thigh bands in the mail to us this week).

6247451499_181b8d9aae.jpg

And my 5yr old's Ironman is almost done (if you don't count the boot tops, under-armor, rigging and other details).

6218445161_30dabb6880.jpg

Why not take on one more Halloween project? Sure... what is it?

My 9yr old daughter, Tia, has decided (at the eleventh hour) that she wants to be a Murloc from World of Warcraft.

"A what?!" you say?

A murloc... Oh, it's just about the most obnoxious mob creature in the game - oh, and ugly too.

MurlocRaneman.jpg

Now, I've warned her that I have NO time and NO more money for this project (my kids know they need to provide Dad at least two months notice for these things).

She says she understands, so I'm attempting a two weekend costume build of a WoW murloc.

DISCLAIMER:
For those of you that have followed my other builds, please forgive this sub-par costuming thread. I am fully aware that this build is simply to provide my daughter (the procrastinator) with something not 'off the rack' to wear for Trick-or-Treating - which in our house is the worst thing that can ever happen to a human being.

I started by buying her a light green sweatsuit ($12 total). She's very shy about skin-tight clothes right now, so I decided to go sweatsuit rather than spandex. We also got red gloves ($1.95).

6221929396_c5614fa701.jpg

I also bought a single blue camping mat ($6.95)... which I proceeded to cut up and glue together to make a roughly murloc-shaped head (and humped back).

Here is the side view:
6221409055_d865244937.jpg

**Please forgive the temporary eye drawings... they were Tia's idea! :)

Here's the front view:
6221929770_6648ef6877.jpg

**Admittedly, it looks a bit more like Nemo than a Murloc at this point... but for 3 hours with one camping mat, what do you expect? :rolleyes

Here is Tia doing her best Murloc impersonation:
6221929926_0a550db112.jpg

After getting the general shape of the Murloc head done, I grabbed the two $1.50 Christmas ornaments I bought from K-Mart and cut them into Murloc eye's!
6221409681_7bdf3347c6.jpg

...and after a bit of fabric paint I had laying around from my Cyclops build (and a coat of clear gloss for plastics from Mikey's Ironman project), they now look like this:
6221930718_0378132fef.jpg

Now, I can't promise you this thread will contain any valuable knowledge, tutorials or clever build tips... but I can certainly guarantee it will be fast and fun costume build!

Nite all! :):thumbsup

Last edited:
Re: Last Minute Budget Murloc Costume for my 9yr old - WTF?

I think this is going to turn out good. I know the stores carry a neon fabric paint that might be able to be used for the coloring on the foam and fabric, not sure what you're going to do for the feathers or whatever they are on the back though.

They're spines, similar to what you'd find on a bass or crappie. Might I suggest using foam remnants for those and the teeth? It would cut down on build cost and time if you have the stuff left over.

before someone else does, I feel duty bound to say "Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!"
Your kids do realise how lucky they are, right? :)

They're spines, similar to what you'd find on a bass or crappie. Might I suggest using foam remnants for those and the teeth? It would cut down on build cost and time if you have the stuff left over.

Yep! That's the plan. I've actually traced out the spines on the rest of the camping mat - it's been sitting in a reverse roll to flatten the material (since I don't have a heat gun).

before someone else does, I feel duty bound to say "Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!"
Your kids do realize how lucky they are, right? :)

My daughter does a GREAT murloc sound, so she's got the "Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!" down pat! :thumbsup

Is it odd that a demon fish/frog speaks the same language as the Hamburglar?

Oh, and I added some fishy lips to the face this morning with latex caulk!

6222690193_a46dfe5ba1.jpg

...and then some nostrils.

6223237330_cdcfc9e55b.jpg

Last edited:

Freaking awesome. You can do it, I have full confidence in you. You are off to a great start.

your kids are sure lucky to have a dad like you. great work as always!:thumbsup

A bit more progress today...

Plasti-dip and paint got applied:

6224772699_28cda83f01.jpg

Eyes added and unpainted spines started:

6225292008_dce2d8a5f1.jpg

6225292238_18def951e2.jpg

That's really good for last minute. I have to agree with what others have said. What a great father you are.

lol that looks awesome!! Can't wait to see the rest (your other kids' costumes look great also)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back