Laser effects for sci-fi models

Bama Chris

Hello all, I am new to this forum and this is my first actual post. I am looking into the idea of creating a model display, in this case, a combination of the classic Star Wars X wing being pursued by a Tie fighter. What i thought may look cool is creating a laser cannon blast effect from the Tie fighter. I have thought of two possibilities, 1) green cold cathode lighting or 2) electro-luminescent lighting, which I do not believe would be very bright. Has anyone else thought of this or tried this? Thanks

who45

could you not use a laser pointer internals - assemble it into the model, and use something to create a mist that rises up from the base - maybe have the laser to be button activated by extending the wires to the base - so when the mist (insense underneath or one of thos mist making things) rises the laser pointer will give a straight beam of light, could even go a step further and get a laser blast sample and wire that up another button - so u get laser blast sound and laser light effect - the mist will act as a source to illuminate the laser and be smoke............... random thought that i got carried away with there lol

Bama Chris

I really thought about using a few green CC lights from these folks;

Cold Cathodes, Cold Cathode Light Kits - Cold Cathode Lights for your PC

These would be very bright and they have a sound activated option, however i believe they would too bulky & difficult to display. I think i might try the glow wire first just to see how bright it is. I will be using the studio scale models so they would also need to be displayed several feet apart for proper perspective.

Jaded Monk

I think you'll find clear acrylic or styrene rod and an LED will be the most practical and cost effective.

Starship Modeler - Tech Library (Main) - The How Do I? Section

is a good place to start.

[edit:] didn't catch until late that these are to be displayed at a distance from one another. You may get some sag in a run of plastic that long, unless you opt for a larger diameter. To that end you might consider looking into side throwing fiber optics.[/edit]

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
I did something similar with acrylic rod. I sanded them into a laser shape and then roughed them up with a Dremel cutting wheel so they looked like energy beams and not just smooth acrylic. I don't have any pics on here though!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.