Laser Diode Problems

Badgerhunter27

I finally hooked my (3) 3v diodes up to my battery box which hold 2 aaa like a couple guys have done on here already. Only 1 diodes lit up so I separated each of them to test them, for some reason when I attached the wires from the box to the leads of the diodes they didnt light up at all I had to put the wires directly on the diodes, and when I did this the output was very faint you couldnt even see the dot across the room. So I am wondering should I solder new leads onto the diodes to hopefully have a better connection or are the diodes messed up and will need to get new ones. Also when I hooked the battery box leads up to the good diode it worked fine, but I did it a second time and it turned very faint like the other ones so it has me wondering wth is going on.

650nm 5mw 3v, and I used your 3v diagram as my set-up the weird thing is that 2 of them worked fine when I hooked them up separately but when I tried doing it again separately the light output was dull almost like i had burned something out.

I know that this may sound silly. Have you tried different batteries?
Otherwise Im stumped.
Id still like to see a photo of them wired up.

yeah I put other new batteries in and it did the same thing, I ordered some new diodes and this time I am actually going to do it the right way and solder them together I just twisted them together last time but first i have to get a soldering iron. I messed the leads from the diodes up pretty bad tinkering with them (those tiny wires are pretty fragile) so I cant even put them back together and take a pic this will teach me to try and take shortcuts.

You cannot wire a bare laser diode up to a battery, it will burn out. Laser diodes are very touchy things, and they need a control board to monitor their current usage. What you want is a laser MODULE. It's a laser diode with a little circuit board attached. Some have a bare board, some come in a metal cylinder with some wire leads out the back. Just look on ebay, you'll find them.

The diodes I got had a tiny board coming off of them with the leads attached but I didnt have them all together when I tested them so maybe thats why I burned them out but I have the same kind on there way so this time I will solder them all together and then to the pack

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back